what if your 7 months old don't likre to open his mouth to eat or drink formula?

he is not teething!he is not interested in foods.from 3months up now he drink his formula while in his sleep bcoz he dont like to drink if he is awake. the doctor gave him medicine for a weeks but it doesn't work . i dont have a problem for his sleep but im tired i think this is not normal to feed him while in his sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try gently rubbing his cheek. Usually that stimulates them to open their mouths.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I have never heard of that before. Interesting. My little girl woke up one morning around 8mths old and refused all formula and baby food. She insisted on eating and drinking what the rest of us were so we switched to whole milk and soft regular foods and she did great. The doc said that as long as it was whole milk and a balanced diet that it was ok. He said that was how it was done before there was formula and such. Maybe he does not like the taste or texture. GL
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Did he wake up one morning and decide not to eat anything? When my ds was 5-mos.-old, he was hospitalized for 2 mos. About every 5 - 7 days, the doctor would check his gag-reflex, because of that, he refused to eat or drink anything. (He had a feeding tube while he was in the hospital.) A speech therapist, a dietician, and even the hospital's social worker would come in from time to time while I was trying to feed him. They all gave me excellent advise and watched how I handled him during those very difficult feedings. The speech therapist would check whether his tongue was up at the roof of his mouth or down where it should be when taking in food and drink. Also, she taught be how to look for signs that my ds was choking on his food. The dietitian looked for the same problems. Sometimes, she had an idea that the speech therapist hadn't thought of.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Contd.
    The social worker was the advocate for my child. She saw how difficult it was for me to get my ds to eat. Part of the problem was that my ds thought that whenever the spoon went into his mouth, we were checking his gag-reflex. Another part of the problem was either the flavor or the texture. Last but not least, my ds was stubborn. In the end, I had to force feed him. It was my last resort. I consulted the doctors (the attending physician, neurologist, and pediatrician), the speech therapist, the dietician and the social worker. All of them witnessed what mine and my ds's reactions were when it came to eating and drinking. All of them gave the okay for me to force feed my ds. Force feeding was the last resort. For about three months, it took both my husband and I to get any food or drink down our ds. Talk to your dr. again. Ask your dr. if he/she thinks that your ds might need to be seen by a specialist.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2009