Will My Baby Forget Me?

I know this probably sounds stupid when I ask this but, Im afraid it will happen. I am returning to the military and I have to go away for 4 months of training. I am afraid my 6 month old son will forget me... I have never spent a day without him so I might be more hurt over this than he will. I know Im doing this to better our lives but it will be hard, I didn't expect it to be easy either. I feel like he will forget who I am. When I am away for the first few days I know he will cry for me because he always has to know I am in the same room as him. He is my best friend and I don't quite know how to handle this. Is it possible for a baby to forget his mommy after not seeing her for 4 months?

PhlyLuvzOwain

Asked by PhlyLuvzOwain at 12:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no he lived inside t=you. he is part of you :)
    QuintinsMom520

Answer by QuintinsMom520 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• no he will not forget u... mommys and their babies have a special bond, he knows things that not everyone does he knows ur exact heartbeat....
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 12:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• At his age he may not fully remember you. So pictures and phone calls and web cams are great when you get the chance to use them. He may shy away from you at first or be a little hesitant once your back with him so be patient. He is pretty young but a child never forgets their mother because they know your heartbeat, smell and voice from the inside out. He just might be a little confused.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I, personally, would think that he might, but since you are the MOTHER, I don't know. Try and find someone who has been in the same situation and ask them how it went. Keep on being strong for you and your little one =] Good luck!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• No your baby will not forget you. A mother and child have a special bond that can never be broken. My cousin went over to Iraq when his daughter was 5 months old. He was there for 7 months and when he came home his daughter ran to him. She never forgot him to loved him any less.

Whoever is watching your child while you are over there just has to keep your spirit alive through pictures and talking about you.

I wish you the best of luck and a safe return. Thank you for your sacrifice and serving our country.

GOD BLESS!
    KiLora_Gifts

Answer by KiLora_Gifts at 12:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• do you want comfort or the truth??
    comfort read the first two..
    truth read the third one.
    good luck it will be hard!!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I had to let my in-laws care for my son when he was 6mths because I was in the Navy and I was not allowed to take him with me to training for the first 7 months. Eli (my son) ended up staying with them for 1 year when we got settled and our own place again, but I would drive the 6 hours every other weekend to see him. when we finally got Eli back he was very distraught and upset for a while. He acted like he did not know us and kept asking for them, where they go, why they leave me, why they no love me, etc. It broke my heart but I knew that during the time they had him was when he developed a memory as well as being the critical bonding age of babies and their parents. I had missed all of that. That was 8 years ago and I now have two other children as well. Eli is more of a handful and still carries some resentment with us for not letting him stay with them because as he puts it he loves them more, but I think that is
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• because they spoil him above all of the other 5 grandkids. It will be hard, but you can do it. GL
    vbongard

• send updated photos of yourself as much as you can, speak with him on the phone, write letters for the times you are absent and he can read them when he's older to know you always thought of him during these times.
    Anonymous

• who ever is watching your son, should show your son picture of you, and every night say "good night" to mommy( your picture) and if anything new happens he "tell"mommy. someone told me about this idea, but with her kid had never meet ( in this case it was dad) but the kid had never meet the dad and when the dad came home the baby reach out for Daddy. he recognized him form the picture and knew EXACTLY who it was. So your son will not forget you.
    proudmomwifey

Answer by proudmomwifey at 3:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009