Has anyone here done drywall before......ahhhhhh, its horrible.

My dh and I are remodeling our bathroom and finishing drywall is horrific. AHHHHHH!!!

I am trying to think of the END product. LOL

I am giving my arm a break right now. lol

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 12:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I am the only one in my house that CAN do the drywall..... when we moved into a new house, I had to pull paneling off the wall in the dining room and WAH LAH there was damage to the sheetrock.... so I replaced the entire wall, tape&bed, texture and finally paint.... My husband was out of town so I took pictures of the process..... he took the dang pictures back to work to show all the guys what I had done.... His Maamaw says I'm "as handy as a pocket on a shirt".... we get a laugh out of that. But now, when there's construction going on in anyone's house I get the call to come help.... LOL

You'll love it when it's done. How are you going to paint the wall..... doing any technique on it or just paint?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Lol, you wouldn't think that those sheets of drywall are as heavy as they are, would you?

Are you going to do the taping and mud yourself?

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We replaced 36 sheets of damaged drywall in our house last yr... The people we were renting to were pigs, even when it was outside in a pile it had a horrible smell to it... I look back on the pics and can't believe that was our house... The before and after is the best part!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 1:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Yea we are doing it all ourselves. And man they are heavy as crap. lol

We are painting them and then putting wainscotting halfway up. So on the bottom we dont have to be quite as meticulous. But still want to do it all nicely.

My dad is the one is our family who can do it ALL. He gets calls by everyone in the family to help with projects. He says sometimes he wishes he was stupid, no one would call him then. LOL

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Been there, done that. We did the kitchen in our first house and it was (sarcasm alert) so much fun! Enjoy your break!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 1:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It is awful!
    My hubby was done a LOT of it in our house and there's still more to do. The poor guy has to take a break between projects because it's so boring, messy, time consuming, exhausting... to do. So far he has put up three walls, built a laundry room, and put in a bunch of skylights. He still has 2 more skylights and the interior of a bedroom to do. Sigh. Poor guy.

However, the worst job so far has been the roof. He stripped off the old one at the beginning of June and finished the day before New Years. Long, hard, hot work. But beautiful results!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• we just did it in the bathroom too. Horrible job---takes forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Patience, patience, patience. It takes time, to sand it (and deal with the dust), to remud, for the mud to dry, and then more dust. Hubby has done drywall inside our house multiple times, and it always takes much longer than I think it should.
    busywithkids

Answer by busywithkids at 2:18 AM on Apr. 19, 2009