• In the Spotlight:

Why do you think the Republican party has changed so much?

Ok, it seems like the Republican Party has changed a lot since the days of Reagan. Growing up I always heard the Republican Party was for small government, fiscally responsible, etc. Would you say they're still that way and if not, why do you think those issues became less important to them?

Note: This is not a pro or anti-Republican party question. It is just meant to be a discussion on what you think the party stands for and why.

smalltowngal

Asked by smalltowngal at 12:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-9 Credits)
  • I believe because more and more people are learning to have a mind of their own and have their own opinion. Theyre not afraid to reach across the aisle, embrace other parties views and still call themselves Republican, which MANY people do, even democrats.
    Anonymous

• From what I understand Reagans courting of the religious right to gain votes was the beginning of it's downfall. If they left I might vote Rep on occasion.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My Opinion: It is because they were trying to be more center to get more votes. But that isn't what people want. Hopefully they have learned that they need to be more fiscally conservative to get the votes.
    myame

Answer by myame at 1:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The Libertarian Party is more like the old Republican Party. Republicans and Democrats are not much different anymore. They should change their names to Republicrats or Demicans.
    Anonymous

• Desperation.
    Anonymous

• I was raised Catholic in a VERY liberal household, in a VERY liberal part of the country, and was a registered Democrat. However, starting with my very first national election, I voted Republican (Bush I), and eventually re-registered as a Republican. I hardly ever go to Church--I don't agree with many of the Catholic Church's positions, so I simply don't go, but I do have strong moral convictions.

I never understood how the Republican Party became synonymous with the Religious Right. Sure conservatism is a right wing ideal, but not ALL Republicans are Bible thumpers--just like not all Liberals are Atheists/Agnostics!

I am going to once again re-register as an Independent before the next round of elections (2010), as my views have once again CHANGED!!
    Anonymous

• Because,since the liberal dems have gotten so far from the Christian roots of this great nation,and have become so perverted,and court some of the most disgusting, vile individuals on the planet, at least one of the major parties had to come to it's senses,and return to the values that made this country so great. I only pray it's not too late for that, but I fear it's getting worse, especially with our new "president."
    Anonymous

• Please read God in the White House. Good explanation of who, how, why the religious right married the republican party.
    Anonymous

• Anon:19 isn't it amazing how our views change throughout our lifetimes? I voted for Bush II in 2000 this last time I voted Obama as McCain seemed too much aligned with everything Bush II did. Who knows who I will vote for in 2012... :) I think I am more independent than anything, though, as I look at the PERSON and not just their party.

Anon:20 that is the most vile, Un-Christ-like thing I have heard in a while. Sounds like you need to get back to your Christian roots... You know the ones that say to be Christ-like.

Oh, and this country was NOT founded on Christian beliefs, it was founded by some Christians, some agnostics and some Deitists on the basis of religious freedoms for all. There are no "Christian Roots" about America.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I vote for the best candidate. The one who has the same ideals that I have.

As far as the question, I think religion has a lot to do with it. Over the years there just seems to have been a growth of very religious people in the republican party. It seems some can not separate church and state and from what I have noticed, they see to be angry.

Sems have changed too though.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 5:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2009