A child that will not eat, What do you do?

First, this is beyond a stage as it has gone on for 3 years. My 5 year old hates food. He eats very food things, so few I can almost count them on two hands. Most of them are not good. KFC chicken (the only chicken he will eat), Mcdonalds nuggets (the only ones he will eat) Little Ceasars Pizza (the only kind he will eat) Deep fried cheese sticks, he will eat a variety of fruits, but not ONE veggie. He likes cheese, he will eat cereal and waffles but only if you up the sugar count on them. He has never eaten meat (besides the fake kfc and mcdonalds stuff) never had an egg, will not touch a veggie, hates sauce, refuses to try anything. Yesterday he had one chicken nugget all day.He is 5 years old and a whooping 31 pounds at a gigantic 3 foot 2. He is irritable, mean, and disruptive. I am assuming that his diet has a little, if not all, to do with that. Any ideas or words you can send me

TinasTribe

Asked by TinasTribe at 12:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Stop buying him fast food. If you don't buy it then he can't eat it. Those should be treats once in awhile. When he is hungry he will eat. Give him a choice of one veggie or another and make him eat what your having for dinner. If he is hungry he will eat, he will not allow himself to starve to death. Be tough and don't let him only eat what he wants make him try at least 3 bites of what you give him. His diet is horrible and with all the fat and grease he is eating it is probably affecting his brain and thinking because its sitting in his body to long. Change his diet and make him exercise.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My daughter is very, very picky she is 13. Just last year, she started to eat romaine lettuce horray something good, but normally pizza, chicken nuggets, french fries, mac and cheese, grill cheese, that is her menu, oww and spegetti only with ragu sauce. It drives me crazy. Make sure the pediatrician knows, and be sure he gets vitamins, make shakes, with fruit.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You have to set the example, the whole family is at risk, not just your 5 yr old. He didn't go get those nuggets on his own now did he?

I've noticed an immense improvement in my g-kids since they've been living with me. No white flour, sugar, nothing at all during the week except as healthy as I can afford. Weekends they can have some of the banned food at their mom's, but she keeps it down as well.

They're so much easier to deal with, they're doing better in school, they sleep better. it's hard to but had to be done. Lurk (14) is even eating beans and fish, and his mom said it would never happen.

I'm not going to blow sunshine up your butt, it's going to be *hard* work, but you're the boss, you can do it!

Good luck!

MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 1:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my son went through a picky stage where he really wouldn't eat very many things...But somebody told me that if you have your child "help" you prepare the meal, they will be more apt to eat it. It has worked wonders for us. My son will stir things and dump ingregients in little stuff like that. But in the end he is so proud of himself he wants to eat it.
    I agree with the above, doing the fast food thing. That is no good for anybody. My son is 2 years old and has never tasted any type of fast food.
    Last but not least, maybe take him to see a doctor. He doesn't sound like he is very healthy. My son weighs 30 pounds and he is 3 feet tall! He is not fat by any means just completely healthy.
    Anonymous

• He only eats those things because thats all you offer him since you know thats all he will eat! Offer him other choices and trust me he will eat when hes hungry! He wont starve!
    Anonymous

• Well Mom, sounds like you need to cut out all the fast food, all the junk food and all the refined sugars....for good. Offer only healthy foods. He will get hungry and learn to eat what is offered. You yourself have created this monster, now it's time for you to fix it.

Your son is irritable, mean and disruptive because his blood sugar is out of whack from years of eating a crap diet. Adjust his diet and he will be like a new child. Go look up information on Glycemic diet (it's not a diet, it's a healthy lifestyle than can help prevent diabetes, high blood pressure, cardivascular problems, high cholesterol).
    Anonymous

• Mama, I know what a struggle this is, especially with a very willful child. I know he will hold out until you think he'll starve, but I promise he won't. He will throw fits, he will refuse to eat, he will be mean and nasty about it - but in the end it's for his own good. Offer him a real meal that is healthy and balanced - whatever you are having. Make it clear he will get nothing else until that food is gone. Wrap it up and put it in the fridge and each time he's hungry warm it up for him. At the next meal time, offer him what you are eating again, healthy and balanced. Remember people can go as much as a full week w/out food and knowing him, he might push it almost that far. Make sure he's getting drinks, water, juice, and milk and you can give him fruit and yogurt smoothies if he'll drink them.
    The key is to outlast his will and make him see you are in charge. Remember, it's REALLY for his own good!!!
    Jenika

Answer by Jenika at 8:35 AM on Apr. 16, 2009