How is Universal Healthcare any worse than the HMO's many people are stuck with?

I have an HMO. My doc and med group left so I was transferred to the only group left in my area. I have high blood pressure, hypothyroidism and chronic pain issues. The absolute soonest I can get in for a new patient physical is over 2 weeks away OR I can go to urgent care and wait for at least 3-4 hours. If I wait for my appointment I will be w/o bp & thyroid meds for more than a week. Not to mention dealing with my pain with only advil. Once I am seen it will take 2-4 weeks to get referred and an appt with my pain doc.

I am on the fence about UHC but am not sure how it could be much worse. I also used to work for a large HMO and know this type of situation is par for the course.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 1:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• People really amaze me. It's always so "easy" to just up and quit a job and find another and it is alwasy "so easy" to start a business and pay out of pocket for astronomical private health insurance.

To answer the question...it WON'T be any different other than the fact that the poorest people would at least have a shot at getting health care.

The problem is the fact that hospitals and insurance companies are businesses looking out for the bottom line -- that ridiculous profit that they make. AND THAT IS WRONG. Healthcare should be a service like police and fire because it deals with the well being of citizens. If citizens are sick they can't work!

If people want to keep healthcare a business then they need to see that it is a business OUT OF CONTROL. No one would need insurance if it didn't cost $50,000 for a cancer medication, or cost $700 for an emergency room prescription for benedryl
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Would you like someone to decide if you should receive a certain type of treatment once you reach a certain age? I sure wouldnt.
    Anonymous

• I already have review boards deciding if I should have treatment based on a number of factors. Age is sometimes one of them.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Nobody is stuck with anything, you have a choice. Find an employer with an insurance company you like or go without. Or stop complaining at all, this country doesn't give you the right to have insurance because you're a citizen. You have the freedom to pursue any type of lifestyle you want that either warrants great health insurance or none or Medicaid.
    Your issues do not sound life threatening to me, it sounds like you will be able to survive the ordeal without horror stories or battle scars. I would be asking why your provider left the area, the area is predominately poor with poor paying insurance or patients that don't pay their bills or your state is initiating something to cause the job providers and healthcare providers to leave. Or your area has too many citizens that are sue happy. So deal with the situation in which you choose to live and work and the insurance provided with it.
    Anonymous

• Idk, that's a good question. I really don't see how it could be much worse. I'm not exactly against UHC as long as there is still private coverage for those who can afford it. But I guess we don't really know what it would be like until it would be implemented. Things always seem to sound better in theory than they end up being in practice (HMO's are a good example of that). When I was on Medicaid for a little while it was no different from an HMO. I had to wait for what seemed like forever for an appt and I felt like a number and not a person.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Any time the government runs something, it seems like it costs more and be less efficient. When you take away the motivation to be profitable, then things go down hill. I would like to see health care stay private but more free or low cost clinics made available. Also, regulation to make sure the health care system isn't denying people that they shouldn't just to make an extra buck.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 1:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Anon :17...being without bp meds or synthroid is serious stuff. I have to deal with those issues as well and once went nearly two weeks without synthroid because I couldn't get in to see my doctor soon enough. I was so fatigued that I could hardly move my body. My TSH was over 50 by the time I saw my doctor and then it took a couple weeks for the meds to kick in. It's no fun.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• She'll survive just fine.
    Now, that last group of medical providers in her area, I feel bad for THEM.
    Anonymous

• If you're wasting time online you could be waiting the 3 hours at the urgent care center and not bitching about your healthcare situation. Priorities and screwy thinking is what caused so many liberals to want government healthcare. The choice seems pretty clear to me, get your butt in the car and go sit for awhile.
    Anonymous

• Anon, my doc didn't leave the area, they left my ins as MANY docs are leaving HMOs because of poor reimbursement rates. He's not the first doc I've had that has cancelled their contract. There are plenty of doctors in my area but none will accept my HMO.

Are you a doc to diagnose me online? High BP can lead to strokes, low thyroid can lead to severe fatigue and weight gain which will aggravate my BP.

Finding a job with better coverage is unlikely. Dh is looking but there isn't much here.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009