NEED HELP!!!!!

My 2.5 yr old DD will not listen I have tried time out and taking toys away and nothing works she will not listen at ALL please tell me if there is something else to do I am going crazy!!!

Proud_mommy531

Asked by Proud_mommy531 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she's 2.5 and you put her in time out? yeah right like that's going to work, she's far to young for time out, she's testing you it's a stage that she will grow out of.
    Anonymous

• Might help to get a few examples of what she won't listen to you about. Where do you put her when you put her in timeout? (I disagree that a 2.5 yrs old is too young for timeouts.)
    Anonymous

• 2.5 yrs old is not to young for a time out. have you seen SUPERNANNY lol. You just have to be persistant. I have a 2.5 yr old and I put her in time out. At first she wouldnt stay but I had to just keep putting her back. She gets the point now. good luck
    Anonymous

• Well getting into the pantry wich we just put a lock on the bath room is a major one she gets into the over the toilet cubbard wich has my gpas shaving stuff and the toothpast etc. and she plays in the water from the potty i guess its mostly getting into stuff and i put it up put the way and she finds away to get back into things really its basicly everything you tell her no or try to distract her with something else and yeah that dose not work either so anyway i tell her no then she goes to the corner wich is in the living room and i turn off the tv and she stands there facing the wall for 2 min after she is quite the timer starts and when she is done we talk about why she was put in the corner or she sits in a chair. and i think time outs are fine for 2 yrs and up lol and i watch nanny 911 lol
    Proud_mommy531

Answer by Proud_mommy531 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• 2.5 is PLENTY old enough for time outs!

Unfortunately it's normal for toddlers at this age to try and set boundaries and express themselves... in the form of temper tantrums and outright ignoring you. You're not the only mother going through this. Just keep doing what you're doing. When she grows out of this phase, things will get easier.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It sounds like you are doing everything right, proud_mommy. Some kids are just a little more persistant than others. My daughter is 2.5, as well, and time outs work pretty well. I think the big thing is making sure she gets enough positive attention. Pay special attention to when she is doing something good, praising her efforts and encouraging her to try things on her own (even if it's just putting her shoes or pants on). She might just be trying to show her independence in the wrong ways. And while some comments on here are right, it probably is just a phase, don't think that means you can't do anything about it. Good luck. :)
    JunesPearl

Answer by JunesPearl at 6:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2009