How soon should I start taking prenatal vitamins?

My husband and are looking to start trying to conceive in August or September and I heard that you are supposed to start taking prenatal vitamins before you start to try to conceive. When should I start taking them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• A month before you try to conceive is what my ob/gyn told me 10 years ago.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 1:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You can take them whenever you want.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• i heard 2-3 months before you try to conceive. but you can take them whenever they won't hurt you
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• as soon as you decide to start trying , folic acid is the most important . you want to already have the vitamins in your body before you concieve. the very first days and weeks are the most importtant as that is when everything develops and is most vunerable to problems and damge.
    Not to mention they will help boost your fertility and help better your chances of conceving.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 1:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My doctor recommends 3 months. It has been found that 3 months prior to conception greatly decreases your chances of birth defects, and that not starting folic acid until conception will have minimal effect.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 1:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If you are planning on getting pregnant.. Go ahead and start taking them.They are just vitamins and won't hurt you, but the longer you take them.. the better it really is. Your body can store things like iron, and folic acid for the new baby when you get pregnant.. so go ahead and start!
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me at least 3 months so it will be in your system from the very beginning.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My doctor told me that as long as I am of child-bearing age that I should be taking prenatals.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 1:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• drs recommend 3 months before

codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2009