Food at 9 months?

My Lil girl will be 9 months, and currently I am still giving her stage 2 baby food. I have introduced mashed potatoes, plus baby mum mum crackers and gerber cereal and some very bland lentils and rice. (i'm south asian so I also want her to be accustomed to our food as well)
The stage 3 baby food only consists of meat and veggies, and dont look to appetizing. (plus I was told that protein should be the last thing to introduce to your child bc its hard to digest)

She is just getting her first tooth, and I was wondering what else can I start giving her??

I just don't want her to start getting bored and hate her food.

I also wanted to know about formula and solids? How much formula should she still be getting?

I'm a first time mommy and would really appreciate any advice

brownie75

Asked by brownie75 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She should still drink about 24 to 30 oz of formula . As for solids as much as she will eat. You can try mashing up your own table food if you don't want to do stage 3. Make spaghetti with a mild sauce or tear up piece of meat for her. Anything you think she can handle.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Not sure of the formula to food ration, but some ideas for things to feed her are:

1/2 piece of toast
    Banana's (my daughter won't eat them if they are in small pieces, so I give them to her as 1/2 of a whole banana)
    Peaches
    Eggs (focus on the yolk - my pedi said the whites it what causes most of the allergies)
    Steamed Veggies

Basically anything that you can mush against the roof of your mouth with little/no effort with your tongue is things that she can eat. (aside from peanuts and honey)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Oh, and be watchful of high citrus foods, such as tomatoes or oranges. They gave my daughter terrible diaper rash, so we are waiting a little longer before giving her things like that.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My son just turned 9 months. He gets both baby foods and table foods (moving more towards table foods) We give him everything we are eating that we think he can mash (they don't need teeth to chew) and then if we are having something that isn't for him then he has baby food.
    He also eats the Gerber finger foods like puffs, wagon wheels and yogurt melts.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• At 9 months you can start introducing new foods and table foods. You can try pieces of foods that you eat at dinner such as veggies, meats, pasta ect. Toasted bread is good. Dairy products can also be introduced at this time if you want such as soft cheese, yogurt and cottage cheese. As long as your baby is getting at least 24 oz of formula a day is fine. You don't want to give less than that. Food is also still practice at this age so you want to make sure they get full from the formula not just the food. Oh yeah and babies don't necessarily need teeth to eat certain things they use their gums to mash up and chew.
    Anonymous

• My son eats everything we eat and he's 9 months. He eats 4 6oz bottles a day as well
    Anonymous

• Just start dicing up pieces of what you're eating for her, put it on a plate and put it in front of her.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• A good book to get is "Feed me, I'm Yours" it will give you good healthy ideas for now and later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009