TICKS!

What is ababy safe way to remove ticks from the home. I just discovered one on my dog last night and she is inside at sometimes. I have an almost 2 y/o and a 5 m/o. We have carpet and I just want to treat the house just in case any suggestions are welcome as long as they are BABY SAFE!

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 1:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Treat your dog with Advantix flea and tick control. Vacuum regularly and groom your dog's coat regularly.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I don't know of a way to treat a house for ticks in general. Go over your dog every time she comes in. Use a tick repellent on the dog- get a safe one from the vet. Check yourself and all family members who have been outside. Also check all clothing- I've had them show up in the laundry. It may be an old wives' tale, but I've always heard to burn ticks with a match to ensure that its eggs are killed.

Answer by Bmat at 1:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We had a tick infestation last summer and it was AWFUL. It lasted a couple of weeks. According to our bug guy some people have them for months and can't get rid of them.

We sprinkled Borax everywhere and left it on the tile and carpet for a few hours before vacuuming it up.  We did that every other day for 2 weeks. We also checked the dogs from head to tail twice a day and pulled ticks off them with tweezers.  The worst part, but what I think saved us from a worse infestation, was crawling on our hands and knees and using masking tape to pull up any eggs they might have laid along the baseboards and furniture. The eggs look little tiny black speckles and they lay thousands of them after they fill up with blood.  

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• >We also had the yard treated because we think they were coming from sod we had just laid.

Actually, I think I found Cafe Mom while looking online for how to get rid of the ticks!

MAUREEN55

• lol on finding cafemom this way.
    Is Borax safe cause my baby girl is always on the floor and will be crawling soon.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009