Trying the Baby Wise way!

Can anyone help me! My daughter is 13 weeks old, but really only 3 weeks corrected age. I am reading Babywise and she cries at night!

ggjw2006

Asked by ggjw2006 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• According to baby wise you let her cry it out. When she wakes up you wait for her to fuss to eat and each day you move the feedings back until she is sleeping all night. What is corrected age? Is she 13 weeks or not because there is a huge difference between 3 and 13 weeks
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Babywise has been linked to failure to thrive, slow weight gain, weight loss, and even death. You should really do some research on it before you commit. Not trying to be rude, but that is scary and I just wanted to inform you.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 1:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Stick with the program! Babywise worked wonders for both of my children. We started my son at about six weeks, and he was sleeping through the night by eight weeks, which is exactly when the book said they should. My daughter started a bit later, but she got right into the rhythm, and became a much better napper quickly. Son is now five, and daughter is two and a half, they both sleep every night from 8 pm - 7am reliably, and daughter takes a 1-2 hour nap at midday. Thank goodness for babywise!
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If her adjusted age is 3 weeks you can't expect her to be sleeping like a 13 week old. I'm not a fan of babywise but if you're going to do it you must consider her adjusted age.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Did you know that the American Academy of Pediatrics had expressed a lot of concerns about the "Baby Wise" technique? Did you know that the publishing company severed ties with the author after deciding that he was "disqualified"
    "I'm personally convinced Gary Ezzo and his infant care materials are dangerous," Gerke wrote. "He has no medical training and therefore no business writing medical books—or disregarding the advice of bona fide medical professionals."
    Babies need to be parented 24 hours a day. A newborn/young baby (3 weeks or 13 weeks) needs to have their cries responded to right away. they need to be held, comforted, and fed during the night.
    IF you are going to "sleep train" experts agree that anytime before 6 month is too soon.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You have to treat her like a 3 week old, not a 13 week old!

The creator of Baby wise has even come out and admitted he was wrong about his system.
    Anonymous

• maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Babywise is very, very extreme, and the AAP has actually issued warnings against it. I think it's way too early to expect your baby to sleep through. You don't even have to go as extreme as some of the hard-core attachment parenters on here and wait until your child is 2 to encourage them not to get up at night... but you need to look out for the health and safety of your child.
    Anonymous

• Please dont do that to your child. I almost starved my child to death trying babywise. Yes, I READ THE ENTIRE book.. I know exactly what it is and how to do it. It brainwashes parents and makes them practically abuse children. The american acadamy of pediatrics has actually issued warnings against babywise. If you question my opinion, check out this website. It's the only thing that made me stop.

http://www.ezzo.info/Aney/aneyaap.htm

Anonymous

• I used baby wise (more as a guideline), but you also have to be parent wise. When my daughter would be awake at night I'd usually just feed her until she was satisfied, even if it was every hour. If you do that and she is still crying I would just suggest rocking her or walking her around the house. It shouldn't get in the way of the "babywise" routine.

My daughter was sleeping through the night at 8 weeks, and is hearty and healthy and happy. I think the people who say babywise is dangerous just didn't get the point of the book. It's about a routine of eat/wake/sleep cycle. It's not a starve your baby cycle. It also counsels you to make decisions as a parent and not let other people or methods (including it's own) disrupt what you think you need to do as a parent.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2009