Are you a generous person?

Regarding anything, time, money etc. Do you ever feel that it is not reciprocated? Or do you ever hate yourself for it, like maybe feel used?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes, I am generous. Always have been to the point where I got used. I had friends that were in trouble for rides and I gladly took them wherever they needed, sometimes without expecting anything in return. It got to the point where I'd be used. I had this friend that would run me ragged, needing rides then asking me to buy her food. Same goes with someone else I know, only it was food and cigarettes.Then I dated a guy who needed rides to places out of town(he asked, I didn't do it), money, and even tried to borrow my phone for a day." I was nice enough to never say or ask for anything from them. I just let it go. Needless to say, I won't be as "generous" as I used to because things just got out of hand. I got sick of people mistreating me.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I am extremely giving and usually end up being used. It makes me so mad but I can not find it in my heart to say no when someone needs help. It can be money, babysitting, the use of my car, my phone, computer, internet, a place to stay, food or anything I just give and give and it doesn't seem I get anything in return but asked for more.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I am definitely not a generous person. I used to be, but I got really sick of feeling used so I just stopped. I am still kind and will help someone if they are really in trouble, but no handouts from me!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I am generous only when God tells me to be. I only give when I know in my heart that I am supposed to and how much to give. I recently gave a needy family my sons unused clothes and formula. I didnt spend any money but they still had their need met.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Nope I'm a selfish, tightwad, penney-time-giving miser.
    Anonymous

• Okay annamcg, I'm not being rude, but what do you mean when god tells you to? I'm not a religious person so I have never understood that line, "when god tells me to"
    Anonymous

• yes i give every chance i have. I have no attachment to material things or money, and i am very happy my hippie parents raised me that way!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Being used & being generous are two different things. You can be very generous & not let people walk all over you!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My dh says I'm too generous. Do I ever feel that it is not reciprocated? No. I don't do things for people to expect something in return. I never hate myself for it. Do I ever feel used? Sometimes. If I do something for someone then they start to expect it and then get upset when I don't do it, then it upsets me and I quit doing what ever it was that I was doing. I do stuff for people because "I" want to, not because "they" expect it.

zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Not to others, just my family. People say I can be to mean... But I support local womans shelters and I will give the homeless guy on the street a BigMac Meal, and If a woman is on the side of the road with a flat I will help her out.
    I won't feel sorry or help people who should have helped themselves. I don't give to church, that 10% crap is just that, that money goes into my kids college funds or into our IRAs.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 2:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2009