my son wont eat!

i dont know what to do he just plays with his food and even if i try to feed him he spits it right out! i dont give him formula anymore i give him milk and im scared hes going to die of malnutrition or something. anything i can do?

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 1:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my ds did this, I was really worried and talked to his Dr. He explained that it's normal for them to go through stages where they just aren't as hungry as they were, that their body doesn't need as much food proportionally, because they're going through a slower growth time. (sort of the opposite of when they hit a growth spurt and they eat everything in sight...)

Plus, he said that as long as you provide nutritious food that tastes good and is a balanced diet, and you provide it at regular intervals, they will not starve themselves.

Also, try to not give tons of snacks, even healthy ones, because that can undermine meal time. I'm not saying no snacks, just be careful with how many and how much.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• He'll eat when he's hungry. They all go through stages. If it goes on for quite a while and you are really concerned talk to your family doctor.
    Anonymous

• Make a game out of it, give him a toy he likes and while he plays with it pop some food in his mouth. If he keeps it in tell him what a good boy he is. Also try diffrent things. As long as he is not losing weight do not worry about it too much. When your eating say things like- yummy, Good,want some? Bring another child over for lunch and have them eat together, or show him a video where kids are eating-then try to feed him. Also I would buy a book about food and eating @ his level (ask the librarian/book store.) Read him the book every day-see if it works.
    pamom222

Answer by pamom222 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• thanks :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Mine is 22 months and still won't eat.. games videos etc don't always work... trust me. I'm in the same boat. They keep telling us he'll grow out of it. We have yet to see this happen. lol

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 2:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Healthy toddlers won't starve themselves but it sometimes seems that way. Assuming he's behaving normally otherwise (i.e. happy, energentic, etc), he'll eat when he gets hungry. personally I'd advise against giving him toys or other distractions at meals as it shifts his focus away from eating. My 2 yr old goes through periods where he just nibbles and drinks milk. If you give him milk first with his meal, try delaying it. They have small stomachs and he may fill up on liquids. Try small quanities of a variety of foods of different textures (if he's teething, he may prefer cold or softer foods). If I get concerned he might not being feeling well, I try a "test" meal like pasta or a cookie, something he will always eat. If he doesn't eat that, I watch more carefully. If he isn't eating or drinking or you really get concerned, I'd check with your doctor.
    Anonymous

• btw - we followed our Dr's advice and now our ds is 16, 5 ft 10 inches tall, eats pretty much everything in sight (and is growing like a weed, lol), is perfectly healthy, and didn't starve himself.

They do outgrow this :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• offer him food if he dosnt want it thats fine wait ubtill the next meal if he dosnt want fine keep on doing it eventually he will be hungry and want to eat he wont die cuz when hes actually hungry he will he will eat what you give him
    Anonymous

• thanks ladies :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• flinstone vitamin and ovaltine in the milk. And I agree he'll eat when he's hungry. Just make sure he isn't filling up on liquids. My dd does that sometimes. I have to limit her drinking throughout the day or she won't want to eat.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 3:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2009