I'm sending my daughter to daycare for the first time because I'm going back to school. My husband's family has known this woman since they we're kids and she is a retired nurse. This is not the problem. I'm extremely nervous to send her and it's upsetting to me. Does anyone have any advice on how to ease my anxiety??

SnowFairy042

Asked by SnowFairy042 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• just try not to let your lil one see how anxious you are
    i used to work in daycare, so my son was in daycare from the begining , but i was right there, then i went to nursing school...... the first time i dropped him off at a daycare where i wouldnt be there i cryed in the car the whole way, but i waited until i got outside to the car so he didnt see
    after seeing him being happy and comfortable for a few days i felt much better
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Try leaving her for an hour or so until you go to school. Work your way up to it. Try 30 minutes in another room at her home then leave for an hour then 2 then go to school and get your education to provide the best life you can for your child. You have to relax and be calm so you don't upset your baby. How old is your child? If they are older expect some crying at first but let her handle it and you do what you need to do.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Been there - it's SO hard!!

Just breathe. Remember, the more nervous YOU are, the more nervous your child will be.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I went to school and worked some when our oldest was little, and I never got over the anxiety and guilt of leaving him. I finished school because I had promised my dad that I would get my degree. Then I came home and have been here ever since. I think some moms are just not cut out to leave their children. You may be one of us.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Once your routine begins it will be much easier. What you are feeling is totally natural. She will probably love it,especially if there are other kids there, and you will too. You just need to get used to this change. Kids adapt much better than us adults!!  Finding someone with references is great, but you still need to build trust.  It will work out.  Don't forget that you are setting a wonderful example for your child too!

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• be brave just till you leave the daycare dont let your child see you upset or cry it will upset them once you get out the door cry scream do whatever you need too it will get less each day my son was 6months old when i first dropped him off at daycare. he went from 730 am till about 3 pm during that time i would call 4 times a day jsut to make sure he was okay for the whole first month. then it went to twice a day now hes 2.5 years old and i only worry if they call me its a long hard road but u will both be better for it
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 2:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Have you thought about going to school online so you don't have to leave her? If you must leave her, my suggestion is to go there with her on a day when you DON'T have school. Stay there and observe her day, and get comfortable. I wouldn't take her there and leave her for 8 hours the first day! I'd work up to it! Hopefully she will love it there and that will help you deal with your anxiety over leaving her!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 2:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing 4kidsandadog said...good advice !!
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I am not sure about your question is this person going to be taking care of your child or wht?
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 3:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Okay,just remember this is normal and something all of us have gone thru or will go thru; being a Mom gives you permission to have anxiety when you leave your child. Just dont allow your emotions to show to your child. I am assuming there are other children there at this woman's house/daycare? Your child may cry the first day,BUT,she will stop,believe me. Honestly,when I took my son to daycare for the first time,I was so overwhelmed by it that i went out to the car and bawled. He was fine. He cried a little bit,but,after awhile,he was fine. Dont worry,just know your child is fine and will do better every day. You really do need to start this now; the longer you wait,the harder it becomes for all of you. Good luck Mama
    Anonymous