what does my child need to know how to do to go to kindergarten?

jnthn949

Asked by jnthn949 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The basics. Their name, age, colors, shapes, abc's and how to count to i think 20. The more they know the better.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• depends on where you are. here they didn't make any requirements for us to enroll our SS in kindergarten. obviously it is better the more that you have taught them because then its easier for them once in kindergarten. all we did was fill out a form saying what he did know so that they knew. they were excited that he could write his name.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• theres so much more than you think.. go to walmart and pick up the workbooks for that age.. they helpd me alot with Dude.. ALSO do little stuff, phone number, address, tien her shoes.. she will need to know it all while she is in there.. at our school hez doing math, reading, writing.. like hez in the first grade.. its crazy now..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• in the first month the school screens all children to see where they are at learning. is your child starting in the fall? this is when my worry really sunk in last year, my son is in K now. just relax. knowing how to spell their first name is a good start, not everyone know how to though. I volunteer in my sons class every week and just about 2 wks ago they started working on their last names. they dont cover tying shoes. I ty someones every week Im in the class, I did this morning. They'll slowly learn the ABC's in upper then lower case. lower case is something I just 4got to teach. Our K teacher called us at home about a week before school started, and I know hear that is the normal. she really answered all my questions. you'll hear something before school starts even if its just a newsletter. I would just read and do what your already doing. I wouldnt overload with stuff. enjoy the summer. it will all fall into place
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• the most helpful thing I learned before school is if your child is going to take the bus. do it on the first day, and the next few. their teacher will meet them at the bus and get them into the routine on where to go but after that it is just the regular staff that is on bus duty to supervise. so to avoid confusion, start the first day. I drive him now some mornings, as I wanted to the first day, but I realized to just let him go was better. I know look back at all my worry and realize what a waste of time...he loves school. I think its harder on us.... good luck!!!!!
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• colcors shapes
    count to 10
    say abc
    write first name
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Every school district is different. Some expect a child to know the alphabet and be able to count to 20, some expect to be teaching that instead. Contact the school he will be going to in the fall and ask them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• There is always a list of things they want, BUT honestly my dd is in 1st grade and they are STILL covering things that she was to know to enter K. She knew this stuff in PreK. Each state is different. The basics listed above though...
    jjnaaucoin

Answer by jjnaaucoin at 3:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I agree with kaycee - contact the schoo/school district to find out. since every state and school district has their own set of guidelines. You'll probably find the school district to be very helpful Most districts have a list of what they expect.
    SportMama

Answer by SportMama at 4:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• thank you all the answers have been very helpful. my son is goign in the fall and we are nervous since he is our first. :)
    jnthn949

Answer by jnthn949 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2009