Dog hair!! uugghh

I cant keep the dog hair swept up! As soon as im done sweeping. i have to go back and start over! ive tried brushing him. it helps a little but not much. what do people do that have dogs that shed all the time? I dread when my little one starts crawling. we wont be able to tell him apart from the dog!!!

Ebony83

Asked by Ebony83 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Pets

• I have the same problem and it drives me up a damn wall! I'm always sweeping the floor and using a lint brush on my kids clothes. It drives me crazy more when I see it on my kids clothes. We have a Beagle and that dog sheds all year! Brushing him does not help.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You have to use a certain type of brush and you have to use it vigorously. And you have to do it every day.....yea, blah. If you want to "help" him shed...when you bathe him, after you get him all shampooed up, use a force blow dryer. That'll remove most of the lose hair. Then shampoo again and rinse, and blow dry.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Excessive shedding is often a food related problem. Check your dogs food. If you see corn, wheat, or soy in the ingredients it is poor quality and will contribute to poor coat and excessive shed.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i feel you. if i put helena on the hardwood in fleece pajamas they immediately would turn black. i have heard fabulous things about the furminator dog brush, but never tried it. also, one of my friends has a yellow lab and she SHAVES him. you can't even tell unless you look close. it limits the amount of hair. i was amazed!
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:22 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• have you tried the furminator dog brush? that thing takes so much more hair off your dog than a regular brush. we use that and our dogs (huskies in hawaii) still shed but at least its a little more manageable.
    AddysDogBear

Answer by AddysDogBear at 1:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Most dogs shed a few times per year...if your baby is shedding that bad it may be due to dry coat.... YOU can make some changes in foods, and even add oils.

Also, a good Rake to get the Undercoat is helpful... Do an undercoat raking at least 1 x per month.   Here are some links to help: Supplements/ food and oils-

Boxer hair loss and excessive shedding:  http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/3/2yr-Boxer-excessive-hair.htm

English bulldog with excessive shedding:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Bulldogs-2360/2008/8/EBD-Skin-Shedding-Issues.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 12:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i have a chocolate lab and they are notorious for year round shedding, you cant wash them too much either due to the natural over production of oils to keep them protected in the water. i find that buying a liquid supplement that is high in omega fatty acids helps WORLDS!!!! after a month the results were dramatic. i swear by the stuff now. there are foods that are high in fatty acids, but tend to be really fishy in smell and taste (he refused to eat this food), so now i buy the tasty stuff thats lacking in goodies and give him the supplement. cant hurt! also, allergies could be playing a role in the scratching...i know thats part of the problem for our lahsa. the vet even recomended a brand they sell there of the EXACT same type of supplement, it helps with their skin issues. hope this helps!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 3:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009