What are the best diapers for babies who poop out the back?

When my son goes poop, it always seems to leak out the back of his diaper. Occasionally, it will leak out of the sides near the back. I'm currently using Pampers Swaddlers. I just bought Luvs but they look so flimsy, I'm afraid to try them.

I'm tired of doing laundry & having his cute outfits ruined!

If we are in public, forget it. We have to do a whole clean up & costume change, what a mess!
There's got to be something better.

MrsTommyB

Asked by MrsTommyB at 2:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use Huggies and haven't had a problem with leakage :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I use loves and don't have issues with them. I had a ton of problems with huggies, and pampers and parents choice. I do loves or white cloud from wal mart. Those are the only 2 she hasn't blown out yet. She's known for her blow outs too.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Try putting them on a little higher up in the back as well. Sometimes that will help
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• How old is your DS? My DD had that problem when she was just strictly breastfed, but now that's she's a little older and she's eating solids too, her poops aren't as runny, so they don't leak.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We always used regular Huggies. Sometimes the poo would come up the back, but that's just a part of having a baby! ITA with the bf comment too, my kids when newborn would poo like 12 times a day and it would come up the back occasionally.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• When I used disposables pampers and luvs were my favorites, but there werent and sposies that stopped the leaks from the back. Honestly, I've had 95% less leaks since I started using cloth. They have elastic on the back where sposies dont.

So IMO cloth has worked best as far as poopy leaks out the back goes.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Are you sure you're using the right size? If they're too short, poop will go up the back of the diaper. I've only had that problem whenever he's had diarrhea but that's it. We use Luvs or Huggies with no problems.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Ive tried pampers, huggies, and luvs..... NONE!!!! She poops out of all of them! You just have to wait until their poop gets thicker
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 3:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• we used luvs, and they seem flimsy but they prevented leaks way more than anything else we tried.

When my daughter would start to have regular leaks out the back we would go up a size in diapers and it would stop. You can check the next size and see if it fits okay. Obviously if it's too big that won't work either-but it's okay for them to be just a little big.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• First OxyClean will get poop stains out.

Second, there is no "best diaper" for anything - not pee, not poop, not boys, not girls, not skinny kids, not chuncky ones. All diapers fit a little differently. You have to experiment to find the one that fits YOUR kid best. Lots of moms love LUVS so go ahead and give them a try. They are made by the same company as Pampers but fit a little differently. If they don't work, try a small bag of Huggies, White Cloud, Parent's Choice, CostCo - whatever works for you is the "best" diaper out there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009