Will she ever talk to me again? I told on my niece for a very good reason and now she hates me.

Yesterday I picked up my youngest niece who stays with my mom and my daughter. I also picked up my nephew from school and took them home. While waiting for my brother and SIL to get home I heard my oldest niece 16 on the phone telling her friend that she was going to sleep with her boyfriend and make him ger her pregnant so that he doesn't go anywhere. I was livid! This is a prime reason their are so many teen pregnancies. So I told on her to her parents. She called me this morning screaming at me furious then hung up. I was doing it for her own good but now she hates me. Do you ladies think she'll ever talk to me again?

mrsmendoza2006

Asked by mrsmendoza2006 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think she is just angry right now. It may be a long time before she talks to you but she will. One day she may even say Thank you.
    DeeGillette

Answer by DeeGillette at 2:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Yes I think she will. Maybe not right away but when a little bit of common sense and maturity kick in she will not only talk to you again but probably thank you as well. You did the right think.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I think that instead of tattle tailing to her parents you should have spoken with her about it and treated her like an adult. You eavesdropped and then tattled.

I agree that her parents should know that she is/is planning on being sexually active, but there had to have been a better way to go about it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My aunt did the same thing to me at 15 and it saved me from a stupid mistake. Had my mom not known then I would have done something stupid and he probably would have left me anyways. I talked to her a few weeks later. She invited me to go out to lunch and we talked and she let me know why she did it and I didn't want to hear it but she was right. Now I don't talk to her because she tried sleeping with my husband.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• She will when she grows up. Don't worry about it.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I would try not to worry about it. You did the right thing. Her parents needed to know what she was thinking of doing.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You did the right thing! She may not think so right now, but she will thank you later! Bravo to you!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 2:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Eventually I think she will. At 16 you are all emotion and spur of the moment. When she finally thinks about what she was going to do, when she's old enough to understand, I think all will be fine. But it might take a while.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't even care. You're an adult in her life who is supposed to help guide her, not be her friend.
    Anonymous

• I agree with a previous poster - you did the right think but there might have been a better way to go about it. Even now, maybe you can write her a letter and email and explain your concern - she might not react right away, but it might help her to see you had her interest at heart and maybe avoid her from rebelling further after your intervention.

In any case, good for your for speaking up!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 2:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2009