LABOR

I know everyone's experiences are different. My baby has dropped and I've been having braxton hicks and lots of cramping. Might be days or weeks, or only hours away now... (due in 9 days). SO, I'm just patiently waiting for something big to happen. LOL. What are your 'first childbirth' experiences? How long before you went to the hospital did real contractions start? What did you do to help it along when you were getting restless? I'm so ready and so curious!

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 2:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I just waited it out. I had light contractions start at 3am, so I got up and walked around, I went to the mall that afternoon, I went grocery shopping...they kept getting progressively stronger and closer together.

then I lost my plug. So THEN I made all my phone calls, made sure that I had my bags ready and babies too, took a shower and shaved my legs (lol, woman is so vain) then I laid on the couch and labored. I waited until my contractions were 5 minutes apart and called the hospital (at 11pm) to let them know I was coming (I live 30 minutes away and I was progressing fast) .

A tip I have for you - when your contractions start becoming strong and painful, write them down. It really helped my nurses gauge how fast I was progressing. With that information they didn't bother making me walk around or anything like that - I went strait into a labor room.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• they started for me 4 days before i had him but they didnt keep me til the 3rd day
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I already had an appoint. that day for 2:30 or3:00. I started getting ready and felt the frist inkling of a contraction at 12:00. I went on the the Dr. at about 12:45 or 1:00, because the hospital was 1.5 hours away. By the time I got there, I knew I was in labor. He checked and I was 5cm and having hard contraction. I had him with no drugs at 7:01.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I was induced so I can't really relate to the part of going into natural labor and having to drive to the hospital. I was also a week late and I was going CRAZY!! Ever since I was 37weeks along I was like omg any day now and then I hit my due date and then NOTHING lmao. When we were driving to the hospital I was already having contractions but not strong ones. I kinda regret getting induced the doctor said he would give me until Tuesday to have my baby on own which would have made me 1 week and 4 days overdue. But of course being huge and overdue and super uncomfortable all you want is to hurry up and have the baby LOL. My child birth was pretty smooth actually about 11 hours, long but smooth. Expect for the part that my daughter didn't drop and they had me stand up and push for a bit. I was scared she was going to come out LOL. If you plan on going without the epidural I would at least suggest the drugs they put in your IV.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• With my first pregnancy, I delivered one week early. Hubby and I had a quickie at like 10.30p cause we had to be up early the next morning, it was sunday night. No big deal. Went to bed, but woke up at like 11.30 in lots of pain, and had to pee. But only to keep feeling like I had to pee every 2 minutes, and it was clear. Then my pain was getting steady. So we go to the hospital at like midnight. They check me, and sure enough I was like 1cm dialted, and the bag was torn a bit so I was leaking amniotic fluid. I was admitted at like 1.30a, and told to sleep and nurses would check on me periodicly. at 5am at nurse shift change, the head nurse comes in and checks me she says I was at 5cm and should be ready to deliver by lunch time. I ask for something to help with the pain and they give me iv pain meds. So i sleep good again. Well I get woken up to them telling me that I am just about ready to have the baby.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• ugh im due in 6 days and im just waiting for ANYTHING to happen..i know how u feel lol
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 3:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• continued: which it was about 9am, and I soo didnt want to wake up..lol I think I actually said that outloud..,and was totally woken up by the pain, cause apparently the meds wore off and I was soo very awake at that point. And only to make me feel so much more pain they raised the bed up and repositioned me to sit up....NOPE I didnt like that one bit..lol granted it was neccessary..apparently I was not fully aware of what I was doing cause my hubby told me I had ripped out my IV out of my hand, and didnt even flinch. I think I pushed for 17 minutes, and she was born. Although I didnt really feel pain when she was born, but right after that the doctor started to clean me up, and for some reason that seemed to hurt more than anything else..lol everytime she would try to wipe me off to sew my tear up i would flinch like I was convulsing..lol That happened with all 3 of my kids..lol
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I didnt have to go through feeling the first contractions lol. I was induced
    Anonymous