any pug owners...i need help

Okay so I got this pug a few months ago and it has been a total night mare!! Ahe is three and spayed...but gosh she stinks bad. She is constantly scratching her nose till it bleeds and chewing her paws... its very annoying.. i cant stand the smell.. is this normal? What I can I do with out taking her to the vet.. Hubby is not big on taking pets to the vet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Pets

• pugs you have to bathe often. And make sure you get in th creases in her skin and rinse really well and dry there really well too. The nose thing might actually require avet visit. Not sure about that.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• baths all you can do about that .
    the biting of the feet . gotta clipp their nails or they will just chew them .
    the nose thing i agree you probably will have to go to the vet .. pugs are hard but i love them
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The nose thing needs to be seen by a vet, that is not a good sign. Pugs have a lot of issues with their skin and their sinuses because of their "pug noses." A lot of pugs require surgery to help them breathe through their nose. Pugs also needs to be cleaned regularly too. Trying giving the dog a bath more often and see if that helps. Pugs are VERY high maintenance. I had a black pug for years and it was so expensive trying to keep her health up.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Take baby wipes and wipe the folds of her face. My sister has 2 pugs and they have to clean that spot at least twice a day.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 2:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• NO! Don't bathe them too often, it's not good for their skin. Once a week is good, but less is better! You need to change their diet! Pugs have terrible food allergies. If you give them a cheap brand of dog food that consists mostly of corn, it will make them sick and they will smell. Their breath will smell & their skin/coat will smell & they will fart a lot. Ask any vet. Most of the time dogs smell because they eat cheap dog food that is not good for them. Also, give him fish oil. Dogs love them, they'll eat a capsule right up. It really makes their coat shine & their skin much softer & healthier. And yes, get a towel w/ just water and gently rub in between their wrinkles. You may want to do some research on pugs, they are the most stubborn farty dogs. And they don't train easily.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My mom has a pug and ya he smells. Ick. She has to bath him alot and she buys this like doggie cologne. She is in love with this dog so she refuses to get rid of him. As for the nose. Do you use like carpet powder stuff that you vaccum up if so that could be bothering his nose or maybe if you use fertilizer on your grass. Just think of what he could get into that may irritate his nose.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 2:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• ah yes. They have regular alergies too, not just food allergies. I had to put my pug on friggen daily medication for his allergies........

She is probably having sinus problems. There are home remedies for this too if you have time to do a lil googling.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• they are also prone to ear infections.....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• There is a whole host of causes that could be behind your pugs behavior. Pugs are prone to allergies (regular and food), skin infections and OCB. I have a Pug. I have to bath her once a week with a medicated shampoo, clean her nose fold with UNSCENTED baby wipes & apply a medicated powder, clip her nails, and wipe her paws after she is outside. She has allergies, but the shots, medications, and foods have done nothing for her. After talking to her Vet it was decided that what I just listed is about the only thing I could do to help her.

JMO, but you need to take her to the vet. Why on Earth would you get an animal if you were not going to properly care for it????? I mean, would you take your child to the Dr. if they were sick? An animal is no different, and in fact not taking her to the Vet is neglect and considered abuse. Animal abuse is unlawful and inhumane.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Oh, This pug has allergies to Food? and even the environment.  I have many clients that I help for this type of a Yeast Bacteria and allergy problem...here is what we suggest for them:

1.  a good Grain free food:  NO corns or junk fillers/ Here is a good one - SoJO - free shipping right to your door/ check it out:    http://www.sojos.com/index.aspx?affiliate=petnurse

2.  A good Allergy Natural Canine Supplement / NuVET Plus Wafer treats... KEEP the vet away and No need for hash steroids and prednisone... see NuVET here:  Much lower cost than the VET will mark up:   http://www.nuvet.com/81098     **( use discount code 81098 and ask about auto ship's 15% off)

3.  A good Probiotic will help - Such as Acidophalus -

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 12:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009