When do I stop rewarding him?

I have been potty training my son for 3 days now and for his reward he gets a cookie everythime he goes. Well, he knows that very well, and is starting to take advantage (I think) he has been forcing himself to pee just to get a cookie! Don't get me wrong, when he pees it is not just a little tinkle, but- I don't know if he is doing it just to get a cookie or what!? No more rewards????

nikkileerue

Asked by nikkileerue at 2:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If the cookie is his favorite thing and what he really wants, then break it into smaller pieces. Once cookie could last all day as a reward. Rewards sometimes become boring and need to be changed, but try the smaller pieces first. You have to continue the rewards until he has achieved 100% success going in the potty. You might be rewarding him for a few weeks. At first the reward might be for going when you take him, then the reward is for telling you that he needs to go, then when he goes on his own. Finally total success! Even if he is going really often, that is ok, because he is getting to practice the new skill and have success doing it. Keep rewarding!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• A cookie is sort of big...what about something smaller like an M&M or gummy bear?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If it's a big cookie, switch to a couple of M&Ms or something small. Buy a big bag of them and when the bag runs out, the rewards stop. By then, the potty habit will be well set.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• switch to something smaller. like stickers or m&ms or a fruit snack. I stop when DD stops asking, I just do not offer.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I'm in the process of potty training right now. My son gets a marshmallow every time he pees, and two if he poops...
    he has yet to poop in the potty, but I think now that he's so good at peeing in it, I'll only give him a marshmallow if he POOPS.
    and then cut back from there.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I agree with the comments about the cookie being too big. Skittles or M&Ms or gummy bears.. just one, you get the drift. Let him know before he goes to the potty next that he has to have a different treat (say, because the cookies are gone- if you try to explain to him that you made a mistake giving him too much of a treat, he will just be confused). You might have a tantrum on your hands if he expects to get a cookie and goes to the potty and then.. surprise! So just make sure he knows before hand.
    Also, it's a GOOD thing that the treats are motivating him! If it's really concerning you, though, start scaling back and always talk to him when you do. You can eventually scale back (when you "run out" of all the treats) to stickers on a chart, if you need to, but like someone else said, they usually will stop asking at some point. The kids lose interest in the stickers on their chart pretty quickly.
    Hope this helps!
    KristenDanielle

Answer by KristenDanielle at 7:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2009