Ear Infections/Tubes in the Ears?

My daughter has had five ear infections since the end of Jan. Her doctor has set us up with an ear, nose, and throat specialist to determine if she should have tubes put in her ears or not.

Anyone have any advice or opinions on this? I would hate to have my LO go through the pain of surgery but when she has at least one massive ear infection a month, how do I weigh the odds?

KlousMomi

Asked by KlousMomi at 2:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The surgery is less than 15 min. and the kids wake up cranky, but have a pretty normal day. It is far more scary for the parents. The tubes really helped all 3 of my kids immensely and I do recommend them. I've heard of dietary changes, but it sounds like 5 infections cause a lot of pain....tubes don't automatically end infections, but they often cut down to few to none. I am a fan of tubes. My kids seemed to outgrow the need quickly. I take my 2.5 year old in next week to see if she'll need another set or if she's good to go!

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Well. each case is different my son is 3 years old, I was advice to get the tubes installed by a royal jackass whose specialty was audiology. The audiologist decided to play developmental pediatrician and handed me a label like autism and delayed for a child who he saw for 15 minutes, who he didn't ran any kind of test on, who was simply a sick and uncooperative 3 year old child.. Having said that, seek for second opinions and do research, if she needs them, so be it but make sure that she does don't go under the knife based solely in just one opinion that is my suggestion.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• its hard for us mommies, but 99% of the time tubes are a great solution
    the surgery is not too bad, it was worse for me than it was for my lil man and takes a total of 3 min
    lol
    that afternoon he ws running around like normal
    Anonymous

• My oldest had 2 sets of tubes. My g-daughter also had 2 sets of tubes. First..there is no "pain' with the surgery. They put them out and it's done..20 mins tops. For me..it was like a mirac;le. No more infections, no more missed activities or school school and most of all NO more antibiotics. My son was almost 3 when they inserted his. My g-daughter was 3 too. Her surgery was yucky but only because they did her P.E.tubes, removed adnoids and tonsils all at the same time. With both of them as soon as tubes fell out within 3 weeks reinfections started again. So a second set went in. My son never had another infection after the 2nd set came out. He is 26. My g-d is 6 and her 2nd set came out almost 9 months ago..no reifections yet.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My son had tubes put in April of 2007, before he was 1 after 4 double ear infections. The surgery doesn't take long at all. Its the best thing I ever did for him. The tubes came out in October of last year. He was crying with ear pain, when I took him to the ent they were just laying in the ear canal. He reached in and grabbed them. No more problems so far. Knock on wood.
    mel_js06

Answer by mel_js06 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My dd goes next week for a consult. This time last year she went and ent said her hearing is fine and she didn't need 'em but did put her on zyrtec. now she's had a bunch more (always around Nov - Jan). So we're going to ent but also asking about allergies. They can compound ear infections. So we'll see what they say this time around.
    Anonymous

• The surgery takes minutes to complete, there is little if no pain, and I have known kids that went back to daycare or school a few hours after the surgery. You wouldn't even know that the kids had surgery. With as many ear infections as your child has, tubes may not be a bad idea. Having too many ear infections can cause hearing problems. Good luck!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Thank you guys so much! I feel much better about tubes now. I wasn't sure how painful it would be for her, she is a very active 3yr old and I just hate seeing her bogged down by sickness all the time. I look forward to the day when she can leave the doctors office without an antibiotic for her ears.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 9:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I think you are a good mom to worry but let me assure you this procedure is a piece of cake! My DD had tubes, tonsils out and adnoids removed all in one shot at the age of 4 and did fine. She slept better, gained weight...had a better appetite and just looked healthier. Good luck, don't worry too much.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You don't way the cost. My son had ear infections so bad they would rupture his ear drums. He had to have tubes. Had he not had tubes hearing loss would have been permanent. As it was he still had to have some speech therapy because of the infections. It was a rough time for my DS.  We also found at a later time that his tonsils and adnoids have to be removed also. The main concern we had although the PE tube procedure is fast and simple is that my little one has asthma which required that he had to be put under differently than other LO. We had a scare with that but thank God it was found to be allright. You really have no choice Mum. It will make such a wonderful change for your DD. Of course as a Mum you will worry but it will be for the best. Good Luck to you and your DD. you all will be happier after it is done.

decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 7:01 AM on May. 8, 2009