How can i get my daughter to take a bottle but still breastfeed?

She wont take a bottle at all. I just want to be able to go out for a little bit. But she just gags and gets mad at bottles.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep at it. Make sure you're not the one giving her the bottle, because if she senses you're there,, she'll be like, what gives, mom! Gimme the breast! (Just have someone else do it while you're still around, so if it fails, you can feed her). Some kids take awhile to learn how to bottle feed. There are also infant feeders that you can attach to your finger so she can suck on that... not sure exactly how they work, I've just heard some moms use these when baby won't take a bottle...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• how old is she? You may have waited too long to bottle feed. I tried to bottle feed at 5 months & my baby girl had NO idea what to do with the thing. She chewed on it, i tried dozens of times & eventually she would get pissed so i would just give her the boob. I could not get anyone to baby sit her becuase she wouldn't bottle feed. I did not have any time away from her until she was on a regular food schedule. But, i really didn't mind. I loved breastfeeding & i did it for 2 years.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• maybe she just needs a different nipple? i tried a bunch till my daughter took it. I've heard good things about the NUK but DD wasn't having it. I had her on the playtex dropins and she seemed to like it.
    Anonymous

• Try soft nipples. Not the thicker ones. They need to be very easy for them to manipulate in their mouths. Nuk has some that are designed like the breast so look for them. My baby has taken both from birth because we has so much trouble getting her to latch on that sometimes I had to feed her with a bottle. Funny thing is she will take a bottle from me but no one else. Some recommend not holding them as you would to breast feed but I do without a problem. You can try just making her wait until she gets really hungry and then kinda squirt it in her mouth so she is thinking "I taste it where is it." Also try suprising her with it when she wakes up in the middle of the night. Good Luck
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 3:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Try a cup. DD was given a cup at birth on the advice of a lactation consultant.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2009