What foods should I avoid while breastfeeding?

I have noticed that my baby sometimes has terrible gas pain. I have been avoiding broccoli, spinach and beans, but what else is bad? I'm also avoiding alcohol, feta, blue cheese, gorgonzola, and sushi. Aside from gassy foods, please let me know if there are dangerous foods I should avoid as well. Thanks!

LeeLee222

Asked by LeeLee222 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• garlic, cauliflower, anything GASSY really. It might give the baby an upset stomach. But, i ate anything & everything when breastfeeding & never had any problems.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I eat everything. Even spicy foods and foods with very strong flavors. It has given her lots of gas before (when she was younger) and you can use the mylicon gas drops if you want but my baby has gotten used to having gas everyonce in a while so she doesnt really fuss over it just like you and me.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 3:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I was told that sage can dry up your milk and to avoid it. Sage is commonly used in Italian food.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The only things to avoid are the things that seem to upset your child.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I agree with Krysta. No food is bad for all babies, just some foods can be bad for one. DD was allergic to milk and soy proteins so I had to avoid them.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Jeez, why breastfeed if you basically can't eat anything ? I knew someone that said her baby was crying because he got heartburn from her drinking beer the night before. Thats why I formula feed. I carried him for 9 months, I think I can take my body back now
    Anonymous

• Try cutting out dairy for two weeks, if it makes a difference then that's what's causing the belly ache! It's a pretty common food to make babies fussy.
    Anonymous

• I also had to cut out dairy. Every time I ate it my daughter would scream her little heart out, it was so sad! As soon as I stopped eating it, she was completely fine. Dairy is really hard for human bodies to digest, especially tiny infants who's bodies are so pure. Some are just more sensitive to it than others. Eggs are fine though, the foods to watch are milk, cheese, ice cream, yogurt, and anything with those foods in them.

kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 7:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Oh no! I love dairy! Thanks to everyone for all of your advice!
    LeeLee222

Answer by LeeLee222 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Most babies don't react to something mom ate. A gassy baby is more likely caused by an oversupply of milk. I HIGHLY recommend you read "My baby is gassy. Is this caused by something in my diet?" http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html

If mom is gassy, can that make baby gassy? No. Gas in mom's body cannot pass into breastmilk. Breastmilk is made from what passes into mom's blood, not what is in her stomach or digestive track.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009