What should I expect at my first prenatal visit?

I'm almost 20 weeks, and my insurance just went thru so I could see a doctor. I'm 22, and have a 2 1/2 year old. I've known I was pregnant since the beginning (just fighting with MediCaid) so I've been taking good care of myself - watching my diet, taking vitamins, no drinking, etc. But I have NO idea what to expect at this first visit, even though it's the same doctor I had with my son. And to be honest, I'm actually really nervous, and kinda scared. Part of me is glad now I don't have to deal with the amnio or CVS tests, but I dunno about heartbeat or u/s.... What should I expect?

ExenoRainbow

Asked by ExenoRainbow at 2:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You will most likely have an ultrasound to determine the fetal wellbeing as well as the gender (if you choose). If they do not have an ultrasound machine in the office (meaning you'd have to go to another place to get an ultrasound) they'll do a doppler there to check the heart beat. If they have a US machine in the office, they'll do the heart rate then. You'll most likely also get a vaginal exam since you weren't able to get one when you first became pregnant. They may discuss your glucose tolerance screening with you.

In the future, don't ever let yourself, unborn babies or your children go without proper medical care. There are a lot of doctors out there that offer reduced rates for people without insurances, especially OB/GYNs. I've been uninsured, I know what you're going through.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Pee test, heartbeat check, vaginal ultrasound to determine how far along and heartbeat. It'll be okay, don't be nervous, it's an exciting time!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• dont forget a papsmear but jeanclaudia has said em all other than that
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• With you already being 20 weeks probably an ultrasound, heart beat check, plus all the initial blood work, pee in a cup, weight, and blood pressure. Thats all I can think of that you have missed so far but they may come up with something else to check on with it being your first visit so late in the game.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009