My daughter was invited to play travel soccer in the fall. Should we let her?

She is very good, but this is more of a commitment. Our coach will be switching to this team. He said the travel won't be crazy, and still in our local area, along with a tournament that would probably require a hotel weekend stay, but still in our state. I think I want to let my child decide. Anyone do this? She will be a U9 in the fall, and has been playing since K.

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• its def a bigger commitment, but it is also a great accomplishment for her
    if it were me i would let her
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• it is a commitment, but so is any sport / activity. I played when I was a kid, I knew people plus met new kids that I ended up going to highschool with. Let her decide, you can avoid hotels stays if u dont mind driving....good luck
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Let it be her decision if she wants to or not, and let her know that there is no pressure if she decides to just do regular soccer.

I just got done doing a research paper for school. Did you know that 70% of kids will quit their respective organized sport by age 13 due to pressure from parents and coaches to do more/better, instead of just enjoying themselves?

Definitely let her make the choice, and let her know you are proud of her no matter what.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• let her make the choice. it is a big commitment, make sure she knows its a big responcibility. and also tell her how proud u r. shes obviously very good and she deserves it. let her decided give her the good and bad points and if she wants to let her hav fun. and if not then its ok, there will b plenty of other ops for her. congrats to her tho. i played soccer for years and never got invited lol
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If she wants to, I'd go for it! What an honor for her to even be invited to do that. :-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I'd let her but I'd make sure she knows that school work comes first. If her school work starts to suffer, soccer goes.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I would let it be her choice, but make sure she understands what she's getting into. This could be the 'in road' to being on the school soccer team in HS.
    dodgeboyzmom

Answer by dodgeboyzmom at 3:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I know a lot of other people who have done this and they have all loved it. It is certainly a big commitiment though.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Not only is it a big committment in time, but also money. If you guys are good with that, then by all means, it's probably a lot of fun. Just keep in mind all the car washes and bake sales that you will have to do to raise money.......
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If you can afford it and your daughter wants to, then why not?
    I know from experience they say it won't cost too much but a motel stay here and there.
    It ends up being real expensive! My son played on a traveling 3v3 team for 2 years and I thought we were going to go broke over it. We eventually had to take him off the team because the expenses became overwhelming.
    Congrats to your daughter for being asked. It is a great accomplishment and I wish her the best of luck.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009