Have you renovated your kitchen or built one from scratch?

Is your microwave above your stove? do you love it or hate it there?
What do you love most about your kitchen?
What do you like least?
What did you think you needed but now realize you could have done without?
I'm not a gourmet cook, there will just be the 2 of us and occasionally kids & grandkids; the kitchen isn't huge, will not have an island and will be an eat in. Thanks for your help :)

Grandma2Olivia

Asked by Grandma2Olivia at 3:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Home & Garden

• My parents had their redone. I love the shelves that pull out! You never have to dig for stuff way in the back. I also like a shelf for cookbooks. Mine is at the end of the cabinet if you are looking at the cabinets it is facing the left...if that makes sense. Like the tall facuet that you can pull out and it turns into a sprayer. Looks nice and very practical.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Done both we built our home and things in the kitchen just didn't flow so due to a major roof leak we did it again much better now
    Micro was above cook top and I hated it now it is behind my back while facing the cook top would prefer it on the other side of the room
    I love all my open shelf hate my lights
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 8:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We had ours completely renovated 2 years ago by a professional designer. She put our microwave under a high counter. And the high counter is something I would never have thought of, but it is great. It is about 4 by 4 ft square and high enough that you can stand and write bills on it, for example. I use it for my hot trays when I have company. It is attached to the end of the breakfast bar. I love the granite that we picked out, it is my favorite part- granite countertops. I love the roll out shelves in the cabinets, and my large pantry. I like the adjustable shelves in all of the cabinets. I am glad we got cabinets to the ceiling. A special cabinet that I requested is a floor to ceiling cabinet where I keep most of my pots and pans- no crawling on the floor to reach the pans.

Answer by Bmat at 8:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We recently renovated our home and MOVED our kitchen (what a project!). I got new cabinets out of the deal, and my very first ever over the range microwave. I LOVE IT! I was afraid I'd have trouble because I'm short, but it's wonderful. Having had a counter top micro for many years, I really appreciate the space saving aspect of where it is now.
    dragntears

Answer by dragntears at 8:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Oh, also, we wanted granite but couldn't afford it so we bought Black Absolute granite tiles for our counter top with black ceramic trim pieces...it's beautiful!
    dragntears

Answer by dragntears at 8:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2009