Christians - is everything you believe in biblical?

I have had a few experiences where some of my fellow Christians could not provide a biblical verse to back up their beliefs. When I say a verse, I am talking about a concrete verse that could not possibly be interpreted in any other sense. For example, the rapture is not biblical. The belief that ghosts and spirits are actually demons is not biblical. The belief that non-believers go directly to hell is not biblical. The belief that women have to wear long skirts is not biblical.

Does anyone dispute this?
Do you have verses for the above mentioned items that cannot possibly be interpreted in any other way?
And, most importantly, do the beliefs of other Christians have to coincide with yours for them to be considered "Christians" and/or "saved"?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with you. I am a christian and believe what the bible says. the things you mention are not in the bible as are many of the other traditional teaching of what are called the literigal churches. ie the catholic presbyterian lutheran and many others. for a person to be saved they must believe that jesus is the christ the son of the living god. beyond that if we differ on how a verse is intrepreted that isn't for me to say. God will sort that out in the end.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 4:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The 10 commandments are the only thing biblical that IMO can not be misinterpreted, all the other books and verses are up for debate.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Actually, you don't have to believe in the Bible to be a Christian. I am a Christian and I accept Christ. However, I do not believe the Bible is the word of God.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 4:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If you don't believe the Bible is the word of God, then you are calling God a liar.
    Anonymous

• No, anon, you are calling man kind liars...not God.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 4:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I believe everything in the Bible that why I don't believe in a burning Hell, the Trinity or immortal souls......
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I don't believe that another Christians beliefs need to coincide with mine to be considered real Christians. The only thing that defines who a Christian IS is if they believe Jesus was the son of God, that he died, and rose again and if they seek a relationship with him. The details really are debatable.

When I read my Bible I try my best to take into consideration the times that these things were written, who they were written to, and WHY they were written.

The word "rapture" isn't in the Bible, but I think there's proof enough in the scripture that that's exactly what will happen. Same with the "trinity".
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Why why why do people who say they are Christians do not believe in the bible? How can that be possible???? It isn't possible! Here is why!

In the beginning was the WORD the WORD was GOD ...... Jesus is the SON of GOD... HE is the WORD! If you do not believe in the WORD then you do not believe in JESUS which guess what... you do not believe WHO HE say He is in the WORD . The WORD is the HOLY BIBLE!
    If you do not believe the bible then you do not believe what is says about His ressurection therefore....you do not believe in Jesus which means you are not a Christian!

Yes I believe in everything in the Word... I do not choose to call my God a liar period.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Shaneagle said it best of all!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

Well....if the shoe fits........
    Anonymous