how can i get my 4yr old to stop poopin in the bathtub?

it was extremely hard to get my son potty trained he just started at the age of 4 when he started preschool...now he had the potty down for peeing but pooping is another story you will find him in the corner of his room trying to poop quietly or he waits till he gets in the bathtub and lets it all go. he refuses to go on the potty and will clam up and wont go for days .

lilmob

Asked by lilmob at 3:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know this is not the answer... but I'm so empathizing with you.... that's gotta be so frustrating.... I swear I'd be tempted to let him go poop outside if he just wouldn't do it in the bath!! LOL. We coincidentally, bought a new toilet when my son was potty training... for some reason he thought it was hit potty, and just started going in the pot... we were like uh, what? You wouldn't go before because you wanted your very own pot!?

Have you tried alternating his bath time away from the normal time? I;m also wondering if the warm water stimulates him to go sorta like coffee does for some adults?? You get what I'm asking?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• sorry ** his pot hit the wrong key.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my four year old takes a shower with her six year old sister. no poo in the shower (really though she showers rather than baths because she was gettin UTI's from the soap)

But I had a fairly easy time with potty training so I can't help you otherwise sorry and good luck
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 3:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• smack him tell him its not allowed. come on hes 4!! he knows what he should and shouldnt do.
    Anonymous

• I'm assuming and hoping you or someone stays w/him every moment he's in the tub. At the first sign of starting to go poo, I'd take him out of tup, wet and all and put him on his potty. THEN make sure to reward him if he goes on the potty! 1 or 2 M&Ms should do it!
    Luvngma

Answer by Luvngma at 6:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We do a prune a day. (Called, "Giant Raisins") That helps keep him regular. Which is probably part of the problem.
    Try moving bathtime back if it is the same time daily. That gives him the opportunity to poop in the potty, because he isn't in the tub. You might just have hit the boy's tiime of day his bowels kick in.
    My boy still does the same thing about holding it in. We just go to the potty. My husband makes a big deal about the size, color and shape of the poop. So, pooping in the pot becomes a family affair, which I prefer over my affair of cleaning crap out of his underwear!
    poynorwife9819

Answer by poynorwife9819 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2009