is my child developing ok?

he's 10 weeks old, and hates tummy time. He'll scream and cry after only 2 minutes...sometimes less....he hasn't rolled over, won't pick his head or chest up when he's on his tunny,but if he's on your shoulder or sitting in his bumbo, he picks his head up and looks around....any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he sounds normal to me. My son didn't really like tummy time either. I think he started to really hold his head up around 3 months and he didn't roll over until he was almost 5 months old.
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Mine did that too because her face was in the ground and she couldnt pick it up enough so she couldnt see anything and it frustrated her. Like you, I also worried. Try doing some exercises with him. like sitting him up slowly and trying to get him to hold his head, if he cant then kinda support his head as you do it. (Mine just started rolling over about a week ago and has been doing it ever since, she's 4 months) Also try the boppy pillows made for putting under their chest so it keeps his head off the ground. You can also lay on the floor and put him on your chest so that he has you talking to him and playing with him.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 4:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• That would be really early to roll over. That's more like a 4-5 month milestone. Keep giving the limited tummy time... he should start liking it eventually. Be careful not to do too much time in the Bumbo until he has more head control.. it's hard work for them.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• sounds like he is developing fine. Some babies HATE tummy time. So do it and ehn he cries get him off his tummy. It might hurt his belly or he just doesnt like it but I would not force him to lay there.

I only used the bumpo when my son could hold his head up. I wait to use that. Your baby is not even 3 months old yet.

** all IMO
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• he sounds fine he is still very young
    mamanpnk

Answer by mamanpnk at 5:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• They all hate tummy time. Lay him on your chest while you are laying down. That helps.
    poynorwife9819

Answer by poynorwife9819 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2009