yay were getting a puppy...advice?

Were getting an ausie/lab puppy.
I was wondering if anyone had any adfvice...expecially on housebreaking him

masonsmommy921

Asked by masonsmommy921 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Pets

• We put a bell on the door and our dog learned to ring it when she wanted to go out. I just recommend taking the dog out to go potty as much as you can...(i.e. when you get up, after he eats, after he plays, just because it's been a while, and before bed) then, he'll get the hang of hearing the bell and maybe he'll surprise you and learn really fast like my dog did! It took about 2 weeks for no accidents! Good luck! :)
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 3:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I got the book puppies for dummies (cause yes- I am one)
    thing that worked for me was just keeping th epuppy tethered to me (or my oldest daughter) until he was trained. Or if we were watching TV I would tether him to "his spot" in the living room- or at dinner "his spot" in the kitchen.

Now he pretty much follows either me or my oldest as we walk through the house- and that kept down on accidents because as soon as he squatted we could get him outside asap... unfortunately he did have some accidents, but he also learned how he should behave and what places are "his"
    "his spot" should have a comfy place to lie and perhaps a treat or two at a certain time (like in the living room he has a little sofa and I'd put a bone on it after dinner for him- thus making his spot a nice place for him) Good luck!
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Crating him is THE best way. He won't go in his own crate. I don't mean keep him in it all day, but each time he's crated (especially when you're going out for awhile) be sure to take him outside to go immediately after letting him out. AND, I am a big fan of The Dog Whisperer, check it out. He is fantastic and it works!!! My neighbor has an over the top, spazzed out, hyper Jack Russell and I've been working w/him and he is no longer dragging her around for a walk, among other improvements!
    Luvngma

Answer by Luvngma at 5:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Just remember: Aussies and labs are working dogs. They NEED to have a job to do, or they get bored and can be destructive.
    I got my dog when he was already a year and a half, but he wasn't house trained (he had been an outside dog his whole life). Take your puppy out as much as possible, for at least ten minutes at a time. And crate training is a great help!
    Luvngma: The Dog Whisperer is amazing!!! I love him; his show is part of the reason our boxer/pit bull is so well trained and well adjusted!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2009