How would you feel if you saw a mom doing this???

so i work at a daycare and i have this mom who has a 4 1/2 year old boy who is still in diapers. She told me that she is just starting potty training. She hates potty training and waited this long for her other 2 boys. She also said she is just now taking him to a dentist. This boy also has black rotting teeth from eating so much chocolate. My question is what do you think about this? Is she a "bad mom"?? She also is hispanic and maybe its a cultural thing for her?? voice your opinions!!

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT TRYING TO OFFEND HISPANIC WOMEN!! I AM HALF HISPANIC BUT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF WHAT SHE IS DOING.

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 4:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well she wouldn't win mom of the year from me and in fact having black teeth could be considered medical neglect if dcfs ever got involved. sounds like she is one lazy mommy
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 4:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• hispanics we generally wait till we think its the right time. my mom wait with my niece until she was 3 and a half.. my son is two and i'm trying but she's telling me to wait until he understand better.
    the whole dentist thing, maybe she doesnt have insurance.. the way some people see it is their going to loose those teeth anyways, so why take care of them.

personally she's not a bad mom just bad choices at the moment. i dont know..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I do agree it is considered medical neglect as far as his teeth are concerned but for the potty training she may have found a method that worked for her other children such as more maturity towards it. ask him if he is interested in using the potty like big boys do? Offer your help while he is in your care. I would suggest asking her to pack a toothbrush and tooth paste for him so "after" his meals you can help him brush his teeth or teach himfor that matter. maybe you can talk with the facility manager to see about asking all parents to send in a toothbrush and toothpaste. so all children can participate in a " Healthy Way to live Day"! If it comes down to it you may just bring it in for him you never know you may be the only good thing he has going. As for the race thing It isnt because she is hispanic, she is just neglecting her child. if more signs appear I would consider reporting her .
    shannonsmomm

Answer by shannonsmomm at 4:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• That is the most ignorant thing I've even heard that it's a "cultural thing" to let a 4 1/2 parade around in diapers & rotten teeth. I'm half-Hispanic, too (& half white) you should know better.

I think she has bad parenting skills. His teeth are a health issue, she isn't caring for him properlly someone needs to say something, before she gets CPS called on her for neglect. The pottry-training is more of a gray area, but I think its pure laziness to put off potty training because it's not fun.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I'M HISPANIC TOO. MAYBE THIS LADY IS JUST SO IGNORANT THAT DOESN'T KNOW THAT EVEN IF THOSE ROTTEN TEETH HER CHILD HAS NOW ARE GONNA FALL HE COULD GET A GUM DISEASE THAT WILL AFFECT HIS PERMANENT TEETH. I HAD NEVER HEARD ABOUT WAITING TILL THEY'RE OVER 4 TO POTTY TRAIN. I POTTY TRAINED MY KIDS AT 3. IT'S SAD TO SEE A CHILD BEING NEGLECTED LIKE THAT WHEN THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING FORTHEMSELVES. MAYBE THIS LADY IS NOT IGNORANT BUT JUST LAZY!!!
    COOKY81

Answer by COOKY81 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Does the child have any kind of developmental delay. My son will be 5 in September and he's not trained yet. And he has been to a dentist several times and he still has one tooth that is going bad. We brush his teeth everyday and it is still that way. And now, I don't feed him alot of chocolate. He actually doesn't like it to much, so it's no big deal to him if he gets it or not. So, before you judge somebody, you might want to know all the facts.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The waiting I can't say, if she wants to fuss with it for so long that's fine by me. But the teeth are an issue. Bad hygiene.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My five year old wears a diper at night because he wont wake up and then pees in the bed. He was not out of dipers until he was four. I dont know why this person would let thier child walk around with messed up teeth well thats wrong bcuz it could cause an issue with eating and they say that messed up baby teeth could cause probs when the adult teeth come in.
    Anonymous

• wow. My daughter is potty trained at 2.
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 5:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• to bubba.... im not the one that said its definalty a cultural thing. maybe its the way she grew up.. who knows if your offended by this then dont post. what i ment was maybe its cultural for her and her family to wait until they are older. calm down
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 7:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009