• In the Spotlight:

my son is 14 months old and he is already throughing himself back when he doesn't get his way, what's a good way to teach him no at this age

I feel like i don't know how to teach my 14 month old son, no. When we leave the park he screams so loud everyone is looking at me like I'm one of those parents who have no control over their kid, but i feel like i really don't. He has some very loud vocals and he flips himself back. my husband and I are nervous to go places cause we don't know if he'll freak out in public

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when you find out let me know cause I have a 16 month old and she do the samething and when I tell her no she look at me like I'm crazy. She live to get up at 3:00a.m and want to play and if hubby tell he to lay down she hit him. lol
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 4:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• At home, when he flips back, let him go. He will only do it once garanteed. If he screams and flops, just walk off with no word. He gets attention and without it he will stop. Completely ignore them when it happens. It will lose its power. Like ingoring a bully will eventually cause them to leave you alone.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Let him and then walk away... they usually throw themselves over while watching to see if someone is watching them... it's the attention they're looking for. Like BradenlsMySon said.... and I'll add, even in public let him do it... and pretend like you're just walking away (of course we know you've got your eye on him every second - but he won't know that).... As soon as you are just like "Ok, Mommy don't like fits, bye-bye".... and even act like you're walking off... he'll toddle up and come after you. Patience Momma.... bless your heart. (makes you wonder if you need to get a helmet for them sometimes don't it?)
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• He will get over it. Remember, his vocabulary is limited. He is doing what he sees as a protest of the change. Letting him know you are about to change venue is important. Start by telling him that it is getting time to leave. Even telling him 5 more minutes until it is time to go. He doesn't totally understand, but it is better than surprising him that it is time to leave.
    He will eventually stop the screaming and throwing himself around everytime you leave somewhere, then he will turn 3 and he will have a whole new set of issues.
    My boy will be 4 at the end of the month. We are just now getting to the end of the second round of "I am in charge". He finally understands that, "If you act like that, we won't come here next time." Remember boys are harder when they are little. They usually make up for it when they hit their teens and you want to kill your daughter for driving you crazy. =)
    poynorwife9819

Answer by poynorwife9819 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My DD is 15 mths old, if she starts throwing a fit, I ignore it. Plain and simple. If she is truely upset, I will comfort her and tell her it is okay to be upset/frusterated. They are just learning their emotions. They do not know how to express them yet. Also they have no concept of time or why you need to leave a place like the park. Do as another suggested, and give him warnings that it is almost time to go. I will do this with my DD, and she knows. She starts saying "No, No, No" when I start warning her it's almost time to leave. When we leave, she will cry and throw a fit. I just simply tell her I know she is upset we are leaving the park, but we have to go and throwing a fit is not going to change that. She is getting better at it. Hang in there. As some one else said, it gets easier for a little while. After 4 they have a new set of issues at every age I swear.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my daughter did this. The only things I could do is find something to distract her with before we left. Ex. I would play with a ball with her, that I would slowly roll with us until we got close to the car, that way it wasn't as far from the parking lot, and less screaming the way there. And at home I tried everything with her. The only thing that really really seemed to work was to ignore the crying, or distracting her. Pending on what it was over. And most of the time it was due to her being over tired and cranky. So be sure to give him a nap BEFORE going to the park, to make sure you get that part out of his system to lesson them. It does tone down after a few months. Now she only does it over cell phones, lol. (she started at about a year old, and it lasted until she was about 15 months).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• u know what they do not understand no it that age. and them throwing them self let him do it but ignore it . tell the child have his little tantrum. If you are at home just let it go because they r trying to get your attention . and if u just let them go even just leave the room. They will think wait this is not working and probably stop. If you at a store and that happens pick him up and take him out of the store and go home .
    aaronsmom2007

Answer by aaronsmom2007 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2009