should i just let him fall?

my 13 month old has recently discovered how to climb up on everything. he has absolutely no concept that the higher up he is the further he falls. how do i teach him that? should i let him fall? i dont want him to hurt himself...

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 4:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just have to keep being consistent with him and keep taking him down and putting him on the floor and telling him no. i wouldn't suggest letting him fall because you don't know how he will fall and could break something.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• No, don't let him fall. The next few months will be a lot of work, but you need to follow him attentively and start teaching him about gravity. If he gets up on a couch and then wants down, don't just pick him up and put him down... show him how to get down correctly (turning around on his tummy and lowering his feet. You'll do it over, and over, and over, and then one day he'll start doing it on his own. Let him climb but protect him until he starts showing he's aware of the possibility of falling backward, etc. Don't let him climb the stairs alone until you've taught him to go down the stairs on his tummy, one step at a time. Lots of repetition, lots of getting into position with him, showing him how to move his body. He'll get it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Of course not, don't let him fall. But he's going to take a couple of spills... they all do. I told my boys constantly... stop climbing on that, you're gonna fall and break your trotting poll... and sure enough when my youngest was 3, he broke is forearm (both bones) climbing. On the way to the hospital he held his arm up and asked "Momma, is dis my twotting po?" I was bawling, but had to laugh at that moment.

Just try as you might to keep him from climbing as much as you can.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I agree with emilysusan
    nishchav

Answer by nishchav at 4:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• boo boo's will certainly teach babies to not do something again, especially if it happens a second time, but I wouldnt suggest letting him fall. if you catch him climbing take him down and say NO. if you dont catch him in time and he falls, hopefully he wont get too hurt and associate climbing with boo boo's never to go to that extreme again. and I cant believe I typed out boo boo's lol yeah you can tell i'm a mom!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I completely disagree. If it's not that far of a fall, let him fall. It's the only way that he will learn. Gravity is a very important life lesson.
    Anonymous

• I think that some falling should be allowed - how else will he learn to get back up on his own? Falls from up high, no...but falling from a couch to a rug, sure, if there's nothing for him to hit his head on. I think you need to use your best judgement to determine if a fall is dangerous or not. Also, if you make a statement like, "You might get hurt if you fall" and then never allow him to fall and find out the truth of that statement, then you're undermining your own authority as a teacher about the facts of life by not letting him experience the natural consequences you have warned him about.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• the only thing you can do is to keep certain things out of the way so he can't climb them. (those that are too high). Don't let him fall to hurt himself. But when he's climbing something he should not, pull him off of it, tell him "no" in a firm voice... then distract him with something else.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I also have a 13 mo old who thinks he is 5 years old and runs after his big sis (2½ going on 14). It is really hard to watch him constantly. He loves getting up on the couch and bed and anything else he can climb up and jump on. All I can tell you is just keep an eye on him.
    teafan

Answer by teafan at 9:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• No dont let him fall. I thought that would be a great way for my 14 month old to learn not to climb on Stuff then fall, but when she fell off my bed and broke her forarm in 2 different places i changed all that. When she gets onto something i just make her climb down and tell her thats a no no and she seems to be startin to get the hint. Trust me it is a lot of work but its better than fighting baths and cast for 4-6 weeks!! Good luck!
    Madilynsmommy27

Answer by Madilynsmommy27 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2009