black poop

what does black poop in a 5 month old mean? The whole thing wasnt black. he seems fine otherwise..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• What did you feed him? I've fed my son blueberry and apple baby food and it turns his poop black every time. If you seriously don't know, call his doctor.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Black poop can mean bleeding in the stomach. Call your ped.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Hmm.. has he taken any kind of "pepto bismol" or peptobismol related substance.. Something about anacids turn poop black. I think if it is black and grainy it is something to worry about. I have heard that black poop means there is some bleeding in the intestinal track, but I think the whole poop needs to be black for that. Has he had the stomach bug in the last week or so? If so, I would call your doc. My son got an interscoped intestine after a stomach bug and they told me to watch for black poop. It wasn't that big of a deal, he got a barium enema (he was put under for) and it solved the problem. If he starts showing signs of pain or has more black poop, bring him in, IMO.
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 5:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It CAN mean blood but most often does not in our little ones...this happens with mine alot depending on what food he has eaten (and the color of it) and he also takes an iron supplement which makes it black sometimes.
    chriscrossedtx

Answer by chriscrossedtx at 5:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• she just started on banana baby food
    Anonymous