• In the Spotlight:

How do i get him to crawl?

Hey my son is 7 months old. He has NO interest in crawling and he does not like to be on his tummy. He will reach for toys when he is on his tummy but he gets really fussy after a few minutes. He is a chunky butt but he is able to push himself up on his hands. Does anyone know how to encourage him to crawl? I hate putting him on his belly and just letting him cry.

shortleo

Asked by shortleo at 4:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you got the right idea, with him reaching out for a toy. in time he will build up enough strength to move towards it! a friend of mine had this vibrating ball that moved and played music when touched. I got something similar and it seemed stimulating enough to encourage him to move a little bit each time! I also crawled in front of him and he kinda copied me after a while. but keep in mind not all babies crawl! and not all babies like tummy time as long as he's pulling up a little bit thats a good sign!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Try putting your hands behind his feet so that he can push off of them. It builds muscles and shows them to use their legs while on their tummiies to get to something. My little girl gets so frustrated when she cant get to a toy, she tries and tries and then I will go help her. She is kinda getting the hang of it. Some babies just dont crawl though
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 6:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• don't forget that some babies never crawl. it'll be ok. you can set him down with some objects to catch his interest our of his reach. toys, books, bright colored things. see if you can lay down with him and play with him. tummy time when he cries is probably about wanting your attention really badly. he loves you!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Even if he doesn't crawl, he'll figure out how to get around soon enough. My friend has a 10 month old who scoots around in a sitting position. He's starting to pull up and will probably be cruising soon, but has never crawled an inch in his life.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009