Are/Will you unschool your child(ren)?

I think I'm going to when I do have my own children. I was reading about it and it seems non-conformed to what the government want thinks your child should learn when they aren't in your home. I'm glad we do have the option of it. I would love to have my kids not be formed to a certain schedule or a certain way of doing it. I hate how my teachers said I was doing something wrong because I wasn't doing it their way. I wouldn't want my children or my brothers/sisters going through what I did. It wasn't my fun and that is why I'm glad I didn't complete school and still passed my GED and I haven't been to school in 4 years and I only studied a week out of each year! I'm smart but not government smart...

swbohsix

Asked by swbohsix at 4:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• LOL GED??
    Anonymous

• Only those that can't hang have to do that....
    Anonymous

• I agree with unschooling on some levels, but part of your post made me think about things you get from school that help in the real world. It teaches accountability, respect for authority, and the need to get up and get get dressed and be somewhere on time. These may not be learned til college, but are in the works for yrs. All of which are skills needed to perform at a job. Anyway don't know alot about unschooling, but I know some great homeschooled kids, but I think school is good as well if you are in a good one.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• what's unschooling?
    Anonymous

• I hate being late. I can't stand it! It takes my mom forever. That will be one think I'll teach my kids if they go to school or not. I'll go to Wal-Mart in five minutes and by a timer and set it everyday or certain things that should only take five minutes top!
    swbohsix

Answer by swbohsix at 5:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unschooling
    swbohsix

Answer by swbohsix at 5:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I don't unschool but I do homeschool. I'm more of the eclectic homeschooler, taking bits and pieces from each method and mashing them altogether. Some days I let my children guide me in what they're interested in.

For example, the other day we were outside for "PE" when one of my kids found a pinecone. He was so interested in how it worked that we grabbed a handful of them and started disecting them. It was not in our plans to learn about them but we did, and he took important info away from it. It's a great idea to let your kids do the leading sometimes...you never know where it will take you!

If this is what you'd like to do, make sure you research it and get support from family and friends. Don't let anyone try to tell you you're harming your children or not adequately preparing them for the "real world". What better way to prepare them than put them INTO the real world!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I agree with you Renee. Most people who are in my graduating class if I did continue regular high school would just think...Hey I'm going to get a job right after I graduate but little do they know its hard for people who already did. Its took me from March to September of last year to find a job that was only part-time and I feel stuck there at the moment. Hopefully I will get the bank teller job and move onto find a full time position. I want my kids to know about bills, insurance, and renting. I want them to not worry about stupid stuff like who has the latest fashions unless they are going to be a fashion designer or stylist! I just want them focused.
    swbohsix

Answer by swbohsix at 5:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I would never unschool. Home school and allow my child's interests to help lead the directions of the lessons? Yes. Allow my child to decide when (and if) she wants to learn to read, learn math, learn anything at all... no, never.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I would not unschool my children. I am not a fan of public schools so we home school. We have structure to our day and my child is learning to develop a strong work ethic. So many unschooled kids I have met have no work ethic. They typically are lazy. I would never do that to my children.
    Anonymous