The stereotypical question, 'should I start potty training?'

My daughter is 15 months old, which is pretty young to start potty training. I am concerned that I will start too early, but it seems like she might be ready.

We do practice some baby signs and she signs to me every time she does number 2, but lately she has been telling me before she does number 2. Is this a sign of anything? She doesn't tell me when she has to pee at all. Should I wait longer to start potty training (like when she tells me she has to pee, too)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she signs "poop" to you, I would take her straight to the toilet to do her job.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I want to start out by saying 'should I potty train' is not a stereotypical question. In answer to your question: children are ready when they are ready. I would take my child to the toilet when signed 'poop. I wouldn't punish them for urinating in their diaper though seeing as how they aren't quite familiar with that function.... Just my opinion though.
    Meg-believe

Answer by Meg-believe at 6:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Why not give it a try. But as other moms have said, don't push too hard. Most experts say kids don't really develop the bladder control necessary for successful toilet learning until 18 months. But all kids are different. My daughter was like yours, she'd tell me every time she did everything, she even went into the bathroom to do her #2. So around 15 months we got her a potty. She sat right down and peed. I think by accident. It didn't happen again even though we kept trying. At 19, almost 20 months we switched her cold turkey to underwear. She wore underwear and a shirt and stayed home for 4 days, we moved her to the potty every time she started to go... having zillions of accidents the first day, fewer the second day... at the end of a week she was fully potty trained during the day. But I don't think she would have been quite ready for this a few months prior.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2009