My Daughter is hooked!!!

Help... My daughter is 5 1'/2 months and she and I both love it that she is a good nurser but...I work two days/week and she refuses to take a bottle ALL day on those days. She will wait for me and not take a bottle of expressed milk. She is also eating solids very well, Is it ok if she only eats solids during the day on those two days or not??? She is very small and only in the 15 percentile. She is 5 1/2 months and only weighs 12lbs. so when I introduced solids I just added meals and didn't drop any nursing times. I have tried every bottle/sippy cup that is on the market and nothing suits her. What do I do with this stubborn girl? I want her to eat! Help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try spooning the expressed milk to her. Or from a normal cup.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You might have her caregiver try giving it to her in a real cup, like pouring it into her mouth. My daughter (though she will take a bottle) loves to drink things that way, and has since she was about that age. I would say that if she's that small, it's probably good for her to eat a lot of solids on those 2 days, though she should probably have at least one bottle. Definitely try the cup!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I don't know if they they still do it but they used to give the bm in a cup so babies didn't get confused.
    lilnivy

Answer by lilnivy at 5:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If you are only working 2 days a week, I'm sure it's fine for her to mostly eat solid food during daycare hours, but she should be getting at least a small amount of liquids.
    I am a daycare provider, and I have had babies that don't eat much during the day at all, but then they want to nurse all night long at home with mommy.
    I agree with trying a cup, if she will let you. Also, have whoever is feeding her warm up your milk more than they think they should. I have found with breastfed babies that temp is really critical. I will sometimes even have to reheat a bottle in the middle of a feeding, since it has cooled down some ..... Mommy's Milk is naturally WARM!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If you are only working two days a week, maybe you should just quit your job until she is a little older. Obviously she is missing you and it's quite detrimental to her health. This is not about getting her to cooperate with your needs, it's about you failing to meet her needs. She is starving herself when you are not there. Quit your job and stay home with her, or work at night two days a week so that when she is awake and needing to eat, you are there.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster. We are the only creatures that abandon our young and think that it is normal. Why do you feel the need to work? How much are you really netting after childcare, car/gas money, work clothes, etc? I'll bet it is not nearly as much as you think. If it is your true desire and instinct to stay home, then come up with a budget that you can live in. Your stress over your daughter's health will be drastically diminished. You have the rest of your life to work... but your daughter will only be a child for a short time. No one ever got to their death bed and said, "gee, I wish I had worked more and spent less time with my loved ones."

Now this is not meant in a harsh or judgemental tone, I hope if you were feeling torn, this will give you the encouragement you need. Raising your baby is #1.

Another thought: if you co-sleep and let her nurse all night long, this will be less of an issue as well.
    squish

Answer by squish at 6:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My daughter is small like this too.. her size isnt an issue, but going all day without breastmilk is. If she wont take a bottle, send a dropper/syringe and have your caretaker squirt it in her cheek. It's tedious, but it'll get her fed.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 6:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2009