Big Boobied Breastfeeders...I Need Help

I usually pump and feed, but in the few weeks my daughter has needed more and more milk so I have have been trying to physically breast feed to help build my supply up and to cut down on all that pumping...it's time consuming.

My problem is this. My boobs are huge and I have a hard time positioning due to this. I have looked at all the holds...the closest I come to using is the football hold one. I basically cannot use the arm on the side I'm feeding with to hold the baby because there just isn't enough room. I usually use a pillow on my lap, lay her flat across me and then support her with the opposite arm. This is fine and comfortable for us at home, but I can't always carry around a pillow KWIM?

If you've got big'nes, what do you do? Have you found a good position?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It was normal w/ a pillow on one side and football on the other. And he refused to nurse if I was laying down.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Yeah, laying down seems to be quite impossible for us too.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I usually put a pillow on my lap and lay her on the pillow. I also lay down on the bed and she lays next to me. After a while she will get to a position you put her in and she will know exactly what to do. Like when I take my daughter in the bedroom and turn the lights off she knows that it's time to eat! Take that time with her to bond!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Mine would scream, theres no way he would learn how. He only liked his way and even then he would go for two hours or longer and refuse to let me burp or anything. I was non-stop nursing. I ended up quitting, which I hate that I did. He drank a whole bottle of formula in a sec and was fine for 4 hours and even slept all night. I guess it wasn't for us.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I actually did take my pillow everywhere. I have the same problem, and it was just easier to take my pillow.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• OH goodness. Story of my life with breastfeeding. I would envy those moms I saw walking around just feeding their baby as if it was the most natural thing to do while doing everything else...LOL. I had to sit down, grab 2 pillows, put one under the baby and one under the arm of the side I was using and then prop the baby up. I usually had to have help getting him/her latched on because I needed BOTH hands. One to hold the baby and one to hold the breast back to keep it from smothering the baby. My breast would cover the babys nose keeping him/her from breathing. So annoying. Its one of the reasons I gave up so quickly. Not only was it hard but I couldn't go anywhere. I didn't know how to do it without help. Also I was in a lot of pain in my back. I finally had a reduction after baby no 3 and we formula fed baby no 4 because there was no milk. Have you tried the "breast friend" pillow? That one is fairly mobile.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I'll have to google that. I have a "Boppy" And yeah, I hear moms say how they read a book while they nurse...I'm thinking "how in the world?!" Or I hear of women walking and nursing...lol. They are probably just built in a way that they're not smothering their children if they let go of their boob...lol.

Sounds like keeping the pillow is the way to go!

Thanks for at least making me feel like I'm not alone!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2009