Has anyone used Chantix to quit smoking?

I am taking the plunge and I am going to try and quit smoking-AGAIN! I finally got approved for this prescription and was able to get get it through the prescription plan from the Health Dept- this med costs like $300 or more. I am starting it tomorrow. Has anyone had an experience using this? 3 years ago I quit for a year but the urge NEVER went away. I wanted to smoke and then one day gave in and when I started back, I now smoke twice as much- ugh! This drug is suppose to help with that urge.
Any suggestions or advise? I have read both pamplets that come with it and it seems pretty scary but we'll see. My dad used it and it made him hallucinate but my mom used it and got down to 5 cigs a day- she normally smokes 2 packs a day. I am hoping it helps.

BrendaMomOf3

Asked by BrendaMomOf3 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i tired it- i didnt last more than a few days, i was so sick, as nausious as when i was prego, puking, and sitting on the toilet every 5 min
    plus had very viid weird dreams
    i have meantioned it to other docs who told me with all the issues with it they wont even prescibe it
    but i have a coworker that took it and it just made her constipated- other wise it worked great for her
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• no but my dr wanted me to try it, but i was unsure about it so i said ill wait. let me know how it works for you please.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 5:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I HEARD IT'S REALLY DANGEROUS ,BUT I DONT KNOW FROM FIRST HAND ..I ALSO HEARD THAT WHEN YOU SMOKE IT MAKES THE CIG TASTE DISGUSTING SO YOU DON'T WANT TO SMOKE ANYMORE!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Yep, it does say all of the side affects that are mentioned above.
    I've also heard of some Dr.'s not prescribing it because of all of the side affects.. I am a nervous wreck about trying it but I HAVE to quit smoking. I'll keep you updated.....I am sure after a few days I'll know if I am going to stick with it or not.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My friend used it for 6 months, he said it caused him to hallucinate from time to time and break out into cold sweats, and not sleep well at night...He since then has not taken the medication
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The best way to stop smoking is to just stop. I did. I just made myself redirect and avoid the triggers for about 2 weeks. It really isn't that hard. Just find something to do (not eat) until the immediate urge subsides. Also, change your route home or to the store. Avoid the easy drive by the convenient store to pop in and buy a pack. Starting wasn't free but quiting is. Hang tough and be strong. It really isn't that hard.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Jesse, I am glad it was easy for you. But as I said before I did quit for a year and still had the urge to smoke. It never went away. So yes, it really is that hard for me. Some people can quit, no problem. But most of us- it's not that easy.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:19 AM on Apr. 16, 2009