Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support and private school??

For a various number of reasons I moved my son to private school. (and no I didnt wake up one day and decide I need another bill I cant afford) lol
Is my son's father responsible for helping me pay for it?
My gut feeling is no. But that sucks.
I did try public school, it wasnt working for him.
Anyone know??

Answer Question

Asked by mommymeg03 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 13 (1,235 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • If it's not in a court order, no he is not responsible. But that doesn't mean you can't ask him to help, or go back to court and ask the court to order him to help. Part of that will be based on why you moved him, though. If they don't think it was a valid reason, they might not order it. It's worth a shot though.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 5:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

  • I guess that depends on what's in the child support/divorce order.
    When my oldest son went to a private school I spoke with his dad and explained why I thought it was the better choice and asked if he could help with it. He agreed and paid half of it.
    What kind of relationship do you have with your son's father?
    The best thing to do is ask him.

    Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

  • he have a nonexsistant relationship
    we dont see eachother or talk
    he doesnt see or talk to his son
    if it wasnt such a finantial strain i wouldnt even think about it, but......
    it is not in the curent order because this is a recest switch

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

  • If it is a choice you made without him I don't see how you can expect him to pay for it. Since he has no say you should pay for it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

  • that is his decision not to be included, not mine,,,,

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

  • I think your son's father should want to help you pay for his private considering the same thing for my son and If I were you and he doesnt help i would take him to court over it...I mean depending on your situation, he should just offer the help if you ask me...

    Answer by protectivemompa at 9:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

  • depending on the reasons you may be able to ask the court to modify but they would have to be REALLY GOOD reasons

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

  • the first reply is correct. If it is in the current court order he is responsible for whatever portion is stated in the order. If it is not included in the order you can file a motion to modify the order, stating that it is on the grounds that cicumstances have changed since the original order was entered. If you google the county court the case was filed in you might be able to find the forms you need to file the motion to modify. It can be added to child support calculations and figured in or sometimes you can have an order that simply states he pays half the costs of the private school.

    Answer by AprilD32 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

  • I know here most orders say you have to pay half the cost of daycare and preschool. I am sure for a school aged kid it could ammended for private school too. But on the other hand, that is not something that is mandatory and they may make it optional, if he agrees with the reasons, kwim? I know you said it was his decision not to be involved but this may be one circumstance it may bite you in the rear. But yes, morally, I think he should step up and do it. GL

    Answer by AK_aries at 11:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

  • No he is not responsible to help pay for private school just because that's where YOU want to send your son. He pays his child support, right? That IS his portion.

    You can try to go to court and have the existing court orders amended, though.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.