• In the Spotlight:

How do you feel about cord blood banking or donation?

thisismeghere

Asked by thisismeghere at 6:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We did it for both of our children with Viacord 7+ years ago. Given that science is continuously evolving and new cures are being discovered, I couldn't imagine NOT doing it--I look at it as a small investment or "insurance plan" for not only our children's but OUR health as well! Stored cord blood can ALSO be replicated to help immediate biological family members--since it is OUR DNA as well!

My husband and I have strong medical backgrounds and have invested in a number of biotech stocks. As it turns out our children are both autistic, but science has recently discovered an autism gene narrowed down to be within 4 strands of DNA, so it is reasonable to speculate that some day gene therapy may provide the "cure" for autism and related spectrum disorders.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• That, I have no problem with. In fact, I understand the stem cells from cord blood is making great strides in diseases. It's creating a life in,only to end it in the name of "science",with embroynic stem cell research. And, before anyone says anything, by my beliefs, according to the Bible, God's Holy,Written Word, He knew us before He formed us, so yes, I do indeed believe that life begins at conception, regardless of how that beginning is done.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I wish it was more affordable for people to do it. I used to work on L & D in a hospital and it was sad that people wanted to do it, but didn't think they could afford it. It is pretty expensive. Yes, it is an investment, but some people don't have that kind of money. I think it's a worthwhile thing though.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We started doing it a little over 7 years ago, when my older son was born. Viacord THEN charged us a one-time fee of $995--for collection, and courier pick up/transport, and overnight delivery via Fed Ex (no matter how many children we ended up having), no annual fee for the first year, and then $95 per year for storage thereafter. The fees are likely more now, but I know they offer no interest financing, various payment plans and multi-year savings package plans. So we never paid more than $95/month--which is less than what we pay for our homeowners and car insurance! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• For private banking, it's almost pointless.
    I worked in a federally funded research program that was studying how effective these cells are. Currently, only things that can be cured with a bone marrow donation can be cured with the stem cells collected from cord blood. And then, the recipent must be fairly small - no more than 80 pounds if a large sample of cord blood was collected. In general, the child who gave the cord blood can NOT get his own back - the same disease will probably reoccur. Did you know that leukemia precurssor cells have been found in the blood samples taken from 80% of the infants who later developed leukemia? While they could be cured with a matched sample from a sibling, they could NOT get their own stem cells back.

-cont-
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I wish it was more affordable as well. I was shocked at the prices.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• As for the potential to cure and treat everything else the "for profit" companies tout they will be able to cure - the research into other stem cell sources like stem cells from skin or from fat tissue is showing much more promise than research into cord blood cells.

If you want to donate to a public bank, to help anyone who is a tissue match, fine. If you have rare blood diseases in your family and want to save the stem cells to potentially help a different family member, fine. But for the vast majority of the public, it's a guilt trip waste of money.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2009