SECRETS TO POTTY TRAINING

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INTERESTING TECHNIQUES TO POTTY TRAINING A GIRL. BECAUSE I'M HAVING THE HARDEST TIME POTTY TRAINING MY DAUGHTER, AND I KNOW IT TAKES TIME. I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW DID ANY OF YOU GET YOUR DAUGHTERS TO POTTY TRAIN. ANY SECRETS OR TECHNIQUES WOULD BE HELPFUL.

JKLIEBERT2004

Asked by JKLIEBERT2004 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DON'T USE PULL UPS , USE UNDERWEAR,TAKE HER EVERY HOUR , AND WHEN SHE PEES OR POOPS GIVE HER A STICKER(SPONGE BOB LOL) AND PLENTY OF PRAISE, ALSO LET HER WATCH YOU PEE AND TELL HER LOOK MOMMY PEED AND ASK HER TO FLUSH IT(BE CONSISTENT )! DON'T FORGET TEACH HER TO WIPE FRONT TO BACK AND HOW TO WASH HER HANDS AND IF YOUR WORRIED SHE MIGHT PEE IN HER BED PUT HER A NIGHT TIME PULL UP BUT BE SURE YOU TELL HER THAT ITS ONLY FOR BED TIME! GOOD LUCK
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My DD was one of the hardest ones. I use to sit her on her potty when I went to the bathroom so she would feel alone. I only allowed the potty to stay in the bathroom because I wanted her to get use to going in there. My sister sits her DD's on the potty in the LR near the TV and covers there lap with a blanket or towel for privacy. Hope I helped. Oh and the mommy above is tatally right about pull ups I use them when I'm out. I use diapers at nite because they have better protection against leaks. God luck! My sons 11/2 and 3 are potty training too!
    rayna_82

Answer by rayna_82 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• WELL SO FAR EVERY NOW AND THEN SHE SAYS I GOTTA POTTY AND SOMETIMES SHE DOES AND SOMETIMES SHE JUST WANTS TO SIT ON THE POTTY AND WIPE. THEN WHEN SHE GOES SHE GETS ALL EXCITED THAT SHE WENT THAT SHE JUMPS OFF THE POTTY BEFORE FINISHING. LOL I'VE TRIED PUTTING HER IN UNDIES BUT MOST OF THE TIME SHE USES IN THEM. SO I'VE BEEN KEEPING ON PULL UPS. BUT THANKS JEANIE I THINK I'LL TRY THE STICKERS AND PRIZES THAT MAY WORK BECAUSE SHE LOVES THAT. I EVEN TRIED LETTING HER LOOK AT ONE OF HER BOOKS TO KEEP HER DISTRACTED ON THE POTTY. WELL THANKS FOR THE HELP I SURE WILL TRY IT OUT AND SEE HOW IT GOES.
    JKLIEBERT2004

Answer by JKLIEBERT2004 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• WELLI KNOW EVERY MORNING I BRING HER TO THE BATHROOM WHEN SHE WAKES AND MOST OF THE TIME SHE GOES AND AT NIGHT RIGHT BEFORE BED SHE NORMALLY GOES IF SHE HAS TO. IT'S REALLY THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY THAT I CAN'T GET HER TO GO. I'VE BEEN ASKING HER EVERY HOUR IF SHE HAS TO GO. SOMETIMES SHE RUNS TO THE BATHROOM AND SOMETIMES SHE JUST SAYS NO, AND I DON'T WANT TO FORCE HER ON THE POTTY BECAUSE THEN SHE CRIES.
    JKLIEBERT2004

Answer by JKLIEBERT2004 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I used a so-called 3-day method. It sounds gimicky, but the idea behind it made sense to me, and it worked great. The general idea is that you switch directly to underwear and instead of making her sit on the potty periodically, you wait till she starts to pee her pants and then move her to the potty. It teaches her to recognize the "need to go" feeling, rather than having her accidently go while she happens to be sitting on the potty. I got most of my info on this method from the "Potty training moms" group on CM, and this journal entry I found there: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1182517/3_Day_Potty_Training
    Good luck. (oh and my daughter was 19 months and trained in about a week)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• DD is 2.5. I tried PT her in the past. didnt go well. One night I let her run around in panties, she peed in them, so i cleaned her up & she was running around naked- all of a sudden i hear "MOMMY I PEED IN THE POTTY!" ... So for the next week we kept her Potty Chair in the living room & let her run around in Long PJs-No undies, diaper, pull ups,no shorts, she was bottomless.. I would ask her every 15min if she needed to go potty. She peed in the floor the morning after & the first time she poo'd without a diaper on it landed on the floor. But no accidents since then (3wks so far)... We rewarded her with panties 5 days later & we already take her in public with just panties.. This week she is taking naps without diapers as well, no accidents so far.. but night time training will come next month, not so much in a rush for that..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2009