How much should you pay a babysitter?

I have 2 boys (1 &3). The 3 yr old is in pull ups and is pretty much potty trained.

Asked by ProudMama0719 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• It depends on who's watching them. If you know a reliable and trustworthy teenager, they can be pretty cheap, 5$/hr.

Answer by supermom_1969 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I'd say the average is $7 an hour for a trusted one. You shouldn't pay someone under minimum wage. It's a tough job.

Answer by atheistzmbie at 4:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• That is a good question I just went through this. I found a girl who was 23 years old and I asked her how much she charged for my one son she said $9 hr. I used her even though I thought it was expensive because that was all I could find last minute. Then the next week I had a sitter come to my house who was 16 yrs. old and she only wanted $6 hr. And I do have to say I had less worrying with the 23 yr old $9 dollar an hour girl. She was a little older and made Keith feel important and safe right away. You could tell she worked for a daycare and was around a lot of children. If I was going out again I would probably use her instead of the cheap one. But I do think that was expensive for just one child. And that is about the most I would ever go with a babysitter. I don't know if this answers your question really.

Answer by KGCMOM2006 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Thanks so much for all of the input! We paid my cousin $40 (20 a kid) & I wasn't sure how much to pay my brother's girlfriend.

Answer by ProudMama0719 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 21, 2008