Do i have dry socket?

Monday i went to the dentist they filled a couple cavities and pulled 3 wisdom teeth i had one pulled a few years ago. Anyway one of my wisdom teeth wasn't fully through the gums it was not impacted or surgically removed it was a regular extraction. Anyway again since i already get Ultram and Flexoril percribed for back pain i have been taking that for pain well only one spot where i had a tooth pulled hurts. It tastes weird too. Could it be dry socket or do you think it's fine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Health

• If youre not in PAIN! then its not dry socket. Dry socket hurts like hell and its an ache that radiates through the incision well into the jaw and the muscle. I cant believe your taking ultram for pain. They should have given you some pain pills. Tylenol with codeine at MINIMUM but preferably hydrocodone. Ultram doesnt do anything for pain, in my opinion. It only helped me with not being so stiff in my back but it messes with my mind and makes me hyper....LOL. Nevertheless, dry socket starts slow, but gets worse and peaks at about day 4. Make sure you don't suck on anything (yes even the fun things! lol) and make sure the blood clot stays in tact on the incision. If you think its dry socket, call the doc and demand (well, plead) that he give you something for pain. Thats not fair that they make you go through surgery basically and get nothing for pain. Ridiculous.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• it could be a dry socket. Just go back to the dentist and if it is he will place a pack, I guess you could call it, and it will feel better almost right away.
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 6:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• They will tell you that the pain should get BETTER the 2nd day, but if it only gets WORSE then yea there's a chance that it's a dry socket. Especially if you keep experiencing pain in it.
    Anonymous

• I guess i should have said that the ultram isn't working for the night after i had it done i couldn't sleep because it was hurting so bad i got really nauseous my ears started ringing i felt dizzy and i went really pale. Only one of them hurts and my face is still swollen on that side also i keep getting sharp pains in my ear
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 7:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• try not to worry about it...just make sure that you follow instructions for care after extractions! that is the best thing .....preventative! i had one years ago, and just recently i had a tooth pulled in the back ,a molar. the experience from before made me worry and i was so afraid it would happen again, however it turned out to be fine! in my experience with the dry socket there was no wondering about it, it happened 30 hours after the extraction, it woke me up and i was holding my head and screaming! it was indescribable, air gets in your entire head...it is horrible,but your dentist can meet you at his office and pack it...istant and complete relief! you may have to meet him every 24 hours...i went 3 nights in row at midnight, after that i was fine! i know what caused mine,it was from eating a subway sandwich! so stick with soft food or soup! you will definetly know it if it happens! just try not to worry! good luck 2 u!
    Cindymom123

Answer by Cindymom123 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2009