How long would you let a 2 year old cry it out?

Its been 30 mins. He's still screaming his head off over the fact I wouldn't let him have something he wanted.

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 6:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Let him keep throwing the fit, but in his room with the door shut. Go about your business as usual.

That's what I do with DD; she usually ends up taking a nap.

Of course, I go in there and check on her every so often to make sure she's not needing a change or something like that.
    LunasMama

Answer by LunasMama at 10:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• He's trying to wear you down by screaming. Don't back down but divert his attention to something else. Pop in a DVD or something...
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• ON THE DOCTORS THEY SAID THAT YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO LET THEM SCREAM LONGER THAN 10 MINUTES BUT I WOULD LET MINE CAUSE IF YOU GIVE IN THEN ITS GONNA TURN IN TO AN EVERY DAY THING CUZ HE'LL PRESUME HE CAN GET HIS WAY! I KNOW ITS HARD BUT DON'T GIVE IN!GL
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• For as long as he cries. If you give in and give him what he wants, he will know that he will always get his way by crying. NOT a good idea.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 6:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I don't understand why you would want him to cry it out... All it's gonna do is upset him and you... Give him something to do... Ignoring him is just going to cause issues later...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• distract him with something else. A 2 yr olds' attention span is short. Replace the other thing with something else fun, preferably shiney or that tastes good or get in the floor and play.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Stick him in his crib. Its time for a nap. Henry would cry for almost 30 mins, i stuck him in crib he was out before i left the room.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 6:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I never let my son throw tantrums. If he wanted to quietly cry, he could take himself to his bedroom. If he was going to scream and carry on, he went to the corner. If he still continued, he got a spanking. He was told there was two reasons to cry, if he was hurt or if his heart was sad. At a certain point, I began telling him to show me where he was hurt at- he was crying so he must be hurt somewhere. He would sniffle a few times and he was done.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Stay strong! Try and distract him. When my son is screaming for something I'll try and distract him or hold him but sometimes he is so angry he won't let me hold him so I'll leave him alone. Eventually he'll come to me for a hug and calm down.
    Anonymous

• I don't let mine carry on. I tell them why they can't have it and if they keep crying, no watching t.v. (or anything they like) and going straight to bed after their bath. I explain that he can't everything they want in life. It's just not that way.
    sunflowerfreak

Answer by sunflowerfreak at 6:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2009