whats the best birth plan?

C-section?? Normal.. or with epidural? This is my 1st baby && idk what to do. I'm excited & afraid for that day to come...

soon2b_mommy

Asked by soon2b_mommy at 6:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I thought a formal birth plan that you write out on paper was a ridiculous waste of time. It's not like nature has to follow your plan! You may write a plan saying you want to go with a natural, no drug birth, and then the child has the cord wrapped around it's neck and can't be delivered vaginally. Boom, you're having a C-section.

It works fine to just tell your doctor what you want. You don't need a "birth plan". Keep in mind you will need to be flexible up to a point.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• epidural all the way!!! :)
    masonsmommii

Answer by masonsmommii at 6:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• imop
    in a hosp w/epi
    c section if doc deams it nessisary
    good luck n congrats
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You can decide when you get to that point. You don't know how your labor is going to go. My water broke at 36w 6d and I ended up getting induced, and labored for 36 hours. By the 30th hour I needed an epidural because I was so exhausted. If I had been in labor for much longer they were going to do a C-section. Luckily I didn't need to go that route. Just relax and don't worry about it! Everything will be fine!
    Anonymous

• I had a natural childbirth. It was just something I really wanted to experience. However, not all women feel that way (which is understandable). 9 out of 10 woman have an epi. I think you should just decide what kind of experience YOU want. And talk to your dr. Ultimately the decision is yours (as long as there isn't a medical issue). And you can always change your mind later :). Good luck.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• DO NOT GET A C SECTION UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTLEY NECESSARY!!!!!!!! TRUST ME, ITS NOT THE "EASY WAY OUT" BE A WOMAN AND HAVE YOUR KID VAGINALLY.
    Anonymous

• I would try to keep every option in mind when going into the hospital. I was going to see how it went without pain meds. I ended up getting to 7cm before asking for epidural. I was proud of myself. However, I was all set on a vaginal delivery, but ended up having a csection (baby was crooked in my pelvis, so he couldn't progress). I was not prepared, mentally, for that at all. I was so bummed out I wasn't able to deliver vaginally, to the point where I would cry about it weeks, sometimes even months, after my son was born. I caulk it up to hormones too, but wished I would have keep a more open mind about delivery.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• the best birth plan is NO birth plan lol. No birth plan ever goes according to plan. Go in there with the mindset that you will make decisions based on how youre feeling at the time. Accept that there is a possibility you may have a c setioc (usually only in extreme cases). Go in thinking youll hold off as long as you can for the epidural, and youll make the decision based on your pain. There is no way to prepare for labor. It is so different for everyone, and you have absolutely no idea what it is going to feel like until youre actually in it. A million people can describe the pain to you, and you will have a million different answers, and all of them can be completely wrong for you. So just go in with an open mind. good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I agree with vicki, the decision is ultimately up to you. I chose to have an unmedicated, natural labor and delivery. I wanted to experience my son's birth in ALL it's beauty..and that's exactly what it was to me---beautiful. I LOVED my experience, it was everything I wanted it to be.
    Granted, I was only in labor for just under 4 hours---from the time contractions started, until he was born. I don't believe it was ANY less painful...because I won't lie, it most definately hurts---but I think it comes down to, how well you think you can handle the pain.
    Do what YOU feel is going to be best for you, and like the other Mom said, you HAVE to keep an open mind, because you have NO idea how your labor will progress. So keep in mind as far as what you want...but also keep an open mind for the little odd things that can come your way, and mess with your plan...
    GOOD LUCK MOMMMA!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Keep an open mind, weigh your options, do research. If you'd really like to make an informed decision, read books like The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer and especially read The Birth Book by William and Martha Sears. Those two books give you the pros and cons to all of your birthing options and information on things like cesareans, anesthetics, etc etc.

The decision is ultimately yours and nobody, not even the doctors, can tell YOU what to do. You are the patient and you have rights. Listen to your body and yourself.

(((((HUGS!)))))
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 6:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009