Has anyone been let go from their job while on maternity leave? If so did you sue?

peanutbutter123

Asked by peanutbutter123 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• family medical leave act makes that illigal, you are garaunteed your job back
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I'd definitely take some kind of action if you had this happen.
    Anonymous

• That depends on why you lost your job. What was the reason they gave you? Who else was let go at the same time? FMLA depends on the size of your company, so don't assume you are eligible.
    Anonymous

• I haven't but my sil lost her job while on maternity and she did not sue. The company cut half its staff due to the economy. The cut people based on how long they had been there she was one of the last hired and was let go. She knew this might happen and found another job while on leave. If the company is making cuts you would not have a leg to stand on or if it is a small business. She would have to prove it was because of the leave and in this economy that would be tough.
    Anonymous

• Depends on why the job was lost. Our company cut 1500 jobs in January. One of the girls lost in my department was on short term disability, about to give birth. Her position was completely eliminated. If the position they held is eliminated, they can be let go. That is stated clearly in our FMLA packet.
    Anonymous

• Why the heck is everyone so sue happy? I mean really. Just because you got knocked up dosen't guarentee your job no matter what. There are reasons you can be let go regardless of your circumstances.
    Anonymous

• This happened to me when I was 23. I got approved with Unemployment, and I went to one lawyer, and she said it would be hard to prove that they fired me solely on being on maternity leave. Honestly, I think she didn't want to deal with me. Now, if it was to happen to me, I'd probably call the Dept. Of Labor and get a consultation with them.

Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• Basically my job told me that I was to pregnant .When I was not showing I had like 9 patients and when I started to show I has like two .I wanted to work more but I was pretty big.Anonmyous what do you mean by knoceked up?Why are you so ghetto.You mean pregnant within marriage.probably for you you have a baby's daddy and my line of work is nursing.I was what you call a traveling nurse.we are contracted with a insurance company and we work for them.
    Anonymous