Gov. Perry talks secession, what would be the reality of that?

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry fired up an anti-tax "tea party" with his stance against the federal government and for states' rights.

Perry told the Austin crowd Wednesday that officials in Washington have abandoned the country's founding principals. He says the federal government is strangling Americans with taxation and spending.

During his speech to hundreds in a U.S. flag-waving crowd, there were several shouts of "Secede!"

Later, answering news reporters' questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union. However, Perry says he sees no reason why Texas should make such a move.

Perry's running for re-election against Republican rival U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison.

So what would happen if they DID secede??

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• ANOTHER CIVIL WAR.....and the Obama side would win!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I mean say it came to be, what would be the reality for Texas? and for the US?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• OH NOES! PANIC! WORRY! CONSPIRACY!!!

Except, Texas is the 21st state to order up a declaration of sovereignty in the past 5 years and it has nothing to do with seceding. Unless your reading a liberal blog that likes to ignore the other 20 declarations, including California's which came under Bush...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I would like to actually see a state secede from the Union, and then watch while it tries to support itself--as it would no longer be entitled to federal funds/subsidies, social welfare programs funded by the government or be afforded protection under federal laws. But, hey, go for it! LOL
    Anonymous

• Texas can succeed at any point though if they want to, can't they? I had heard that when they were their own country, there was a special agreement when they joined the union that they could succeed at any point. I really need to read up on the whole situation. There are a lot of states that have been complaining about the Federal government doing unconstitutional things lately though. I believe Texas is the only state that can easily, and I use that term loosely, do something about it.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 7:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• lol not much since we retained right to secede at any time and create up to 5 seperate states of the republic of texas as a condition of being ceded into the union. IF texas decided to break off, we have every legal right to do so. personally, I'm glad perry grew a set and said something becuse this crap is getting ridiculous.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 7:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I wish they would. Hah. They would be sorry,though. A bunch of nuts down there.
    Anonymous

How the h&ll do you think they got there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The people who settled Texas had NO WELFARE, NO SUBSIDIES  and they took care of themselves!

Not everyone needs to be taken care of.

The people at the tea parties know this.

Others cannot imagine it!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

The middle of the country could. Farm country has an unemployment rate around 4% and they're doing fine. If any states could support themselves, it would be the heart land. I might be slightly biased though where I have corn fields on 3 sides of my house though. :)
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 7:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I live in Texas, and we would do very well on our own if it does happen. I'm doubtful that it will, but if it does, I'm not concerned about our economy here.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2009